News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel Clock Noise Pt 2 - How much is normal?

Started by Myramyd, December 07, 2010, 08:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myramyd

Hello,

After shielding the in and out wiring, redoing/separating the lead dress on the pots and performing the cap mod on the IC, I still have clock noise. I would say the previous items reduced it by about 50% but the noise is still there. It gets clearer when turning down the MIX knob. Same amount using battery or PS.

So, it happens on some amps but not others. It is very loud on my Deluxe Reverb, gone on a SS amp, and just somewhat noticeable on my Marshall JVM410. It changes drastically depending on the amp for some reason--it doesn't follow the logic of gain or volume so far.

This is for a friend of mine, so I'm crossing my fingers that his amp will not "hear" the clock noise like my Fender amp does. However, he plays an old 5150 head at very high gain, so I'm worried that the noise will be loud. It took me forever to finish this build for him and he's already pissed!

My question is: Is it normal to have some clock noise or should it have been eliminated completely?

Thanks,
J

jkokura

There should be no clock noise.

Where did you get your chips from?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Myramyd

Everything on the build (other than the PCB) is from Small Bear.

Also, when I open the case and move the wires around it makes no difference in the noise.

J

jkokura

On my build, it wasn't until I adjusted the leads on one of my pots that the noise finly went away. It was startling, and I discovered it by accident. See if adjusting the way the pot wires are lying.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Myramyd

Yeah, I saw your previous post and that was what I was trying tonight and it didn't seem to make a difference moving the wires around. I was hoping I would get lucky and find one. However, I noticed just touching the wires to the switches produced a HUM which I thought was odd...

I'm hoping I don't have to pull out all the pot and switch wires and redo them with shielded wire. It's such a tight fit as is.

The clock noise shows up only when you turn the amp up to band/show volumes. At lower levels it's not as loud or it disappears under the noise of the pickups.

J