News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Unnamable

Started by pickdropper, December 08, 2012, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on December 08, 2012, 10:07:07 PM
Let me know if you're going to offer pcbs for sale..!  Great layout.

Laser question, if you're willing?

When you etch your boxes, are you going right to the bare aluminum, or just marking the paint?

I tried a etching a few more powdercoated blanks the other day.  I had two colors that marked as a grayish variant of the original with halfway decent contrast.  2-3 more passes might improve it, though I think there's a point of diminishing returns. 

Another color marked but without much contrast, I think I would have to go deeper and then backfill, like you did here, or go right to bare metal.

So I could see using all three of these approaches, but curious to know your thoughts for better planning.  I'm thinking a lot of it for me is going to be trying something and reacting to results as appropriate.

I'll probably sell a few of the boards from this run as I don't need more than a couple, but I am not likely to do another run of it.

As far as laser marking, it really is very dependent on the material used and what is underneath.  Unfortunately, you often don't know until the material has been etched.

I usually go to bare metal and that is my preference.  I wasn't originally planning on back filling this, but there really wasn't much contrast.

On the other hand, you can get great contrast with some colors.  I've had good luck with the Small Bear black powdercoat enclosures (check out my Cosmopolitan and Gatekeeper builds).  With those, I did have to scrub the enclosures pretty good, even after multiple passes.

If you want, I can list the enclosure colors I've had the best success with.  Are you buying powder coated enclosures or finishing them yourself?  And if doing it yourself, are you painting or powder coating?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Quote from: midwayfair on December 08, 2012, 10:55:18 PM
Great work ... every time I see you post these SMD circuits, it makes me more and comfortable with the idea of trying one out.

I like the staggered knobs, too.

Thanks Jon.  I am sure you'd do fine with SMD circuits.  I'd be happy to help you with any questions you might have.

Yeah, I went with the staggered knobs just to try and keep things interesting.  I am glad I did.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: Ettore_M on December 08, 2012, 10:59:48 PM
Awesome, pickdropper! As always! You are the man who gets me even more interested in SMD every time I see your builds.  ;)
Can I ask what diodes and IC did you use? Also, where do you send your boards for manufacturing?

Hector

Hey Hector,

Thanks.  :-)

I used a TI RC4559 for this one, but I actually purchased some other ICs to try as well.  They'll go on other boards of course, as they aren't as easy to socket.  :-)

I used 4148 diodes for these.  Tiny little buggers.  Not too hard to solder if you can see where they are supposed to go.  Magnification helps.

For pedal stuff, I've been using OSHPark and iTead lately.  I know others that like Seeed, but I've never used them (although I think they are tied to iTead).  There are some good local folks around here that do much faster turn, but I really don't need the pedal boards fast enough to justify the (considerable) extra cost for proto boards).
Function f(x)

pickdropper

And thanks everybody for the nice compliments.  I enjoy sharing them (and enjoy when others share their builds as well).  It's a fun community.
Function f(x)

wgc

Pretty sure I speak for most of us, thanks for sharing!  I've only been on here a while but have come to look forward to seeing what you come up with!

+1, Jon you'll do fine with smd!  Your 1590a builds have been really inspiring.  Also happy to help with Smd questions if I can.

I'm powder coating the boxes myself as I go, though the tests I've done so far were on free sample plaques. Totally agree on material relative to results.  Your comments have already helped quite a bit.  No need to send a list, I've already got a bunch of various powders and will be using them pretty much exclusively for a while.

I really don't mind experimenting, just want to make the most of the limited amount of time I have to do so!  But I decided to create a test plaque for each coating and then use color maps to more efficiently find settings for the best mark.  Then decide to clear or not... ::)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Stomptown

Another amazing build jawdropper - I mean pick dropper!!! ;D I would definitely be interested in one of those boards if you do decide to sell a few...

pickdropper

Yeah, I am going to have a few extra of these.  I'll try and post them in the next few days.  If you'd like, I'll pull one aside for you.
Function f(x)

Stomptown

Please do! I want one for sure. SMD looks like a fun new challenge.

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Chi_Boy

That's just friggin' amazing. 

I'm ok with a soldering iron, but I don't know about anything that small.  There are bigger SMD componants, right?

aballen

wow, I would love to build one of these too.  I've done SMT work before, so I'm not too worried about the size.  Though my smt work is not as clean as yours.

Have you though about miniaturizing the BMP?  A 1590A build would be great, thought it might have to be a TMP.

pickdropper

Quote from: Chi_Boy on December 14, 2012, 02:15:10 AM
That's just friggin' amazing. 

I'm ok with a soldering iron, but I don't know about anything that small.  There are bigger SMD componants, right?

Yes, there are certainly bigger surface mount components.  If they get too large there isn't much benefit over through-hole, IMHO. 

The only really tricky thing on these boards are the diodes which are admittedly small.
Function f(x)

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on December 14, 2012, 03:58:30 AM
wow, I would love to build one of these too.  I've done SMT work before, so I'm not too worried about the size.  Though my smt work is not as clean as yours.

Have you though about miniaturizing the BMP?  A 1590A build would be great, thought it might have to be a TMP.

Actually, I've already done a layout and have boards ordered for a 1590A muff.  That one is through-hole using 1/8W resistors.  The boards should show up in a couple of weeks.
Function f(x)

aballen

Any word on the mini BMP?

pickdropper

Quote from: aballen on January 06, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Any word on the mini BMP?

Yep, I've posted a couple of builds reports using that board.  One is just a few posts down:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7724.0
Function f(x)