News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Christmas Kingslayer

Started by aballen, December 27, 2012, 07:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aballen

I made this as a gift for someone.  It sounds so good I think I'll have to make one for myself.  Just thought I would share.  No gutshot, sorry... if you have built one of these, I'm sure you can imagine how ugly it is inside.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wolfingsworth

Thi looks awesome! Is that a "bear box platform" enclosure? I love the graphic too, almost DOD- esque

alanp

About to say, looks like a Bear Box.

The knobs are labelled 'Tone Mix Vol' -- is Mix the gain knob?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jkokura

Lovely. I wanna see a gut shot though, the Barebox is super cool...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

That came out really nice!  White/black/win ;D

pickdropper

That looks really really good.  I'd like to see the inside, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

DutchMF

That is so freakin' cool! You made me want to buy those enclosures....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

aballen

Quote from: alanp on December 27, 2012, 08:08:33 PM
About to say, looks like a Bear Box.

The knobs are labelled 'Tone Mix Vol' -- is Mix the gain knob?

Yes, since the clean and dirty are on the same dual gang pot, I kind of consider it a mix.

midwayfair

I believe this is only the second bear box completed build with pictures posted. How did you like the enclosure? I'm thinking of picking up a couple with my next pedal parts plus order.

aballen

Quote from: wolfingsworth on December 27, 2012, 08:07:44 PM
Thi looks awesome! Is that a "bear box platform" enclosure? I love the graphic too, almost DOD- esque

Definitely a bear box.  It was tricky to get everything in there.  The board ended out being put in on a bit of an angle.  You like the graphic?  My wife designed the logo for me... I think I'm going to keep it.  The Kingslayer graphic on top is honestly a bit of a rip on Brians pedals. I really love his designs, in fact I was tempted to etch this one on a black pcb.

Quote from: jkokura on December 27, 2012, 08:41:39 PM
Lovely. I wanna see a gut shot though, the Barebox is super cool...

Quote from: pickdropper on December 27, 2012, 09:34:08 PM
That looks really really good.  I'd like to see the inside, too.

Damn you guys ;)  Ok I'll share, but I'm not really proud of the guts.  The way the bear box is set up, it assumes either a really small board(like a lavache) that can be mounted above the jacks and 3PDT, or one that is set up to mount on the four internal mounts so that it will hover above the jacks and 3PDT, or if it is narrow enough, board mounted pots will let it float above everything else.  

Since this is too big to mount flat, too wide to go with pcb mounted pots, and not wide enough to sit on the mounts, this is what I got.  thanks for all the positive feedback... I suspect it will end here ;)

If only I believed Patrick Bateman.. [voice-over] ... "but inside" doesn't matter.

aballen

Quote from: midwayfair on December 28, 2012, 05:51:08 AM
I believe this is only the second bear box completed build with pictures posted. How did you like the enclosure? I'm thinking of picking up a couple with my next pedal parts plus order.

Second one on Brians forum, or second one period?  I might have to share these photos elsewhere too.

I like the box, but careful planning is needed.  Those bolts right smack in the middle are a bit of a nuisance if you don't plan on using them.  After I completed the build I thought it might be a good idea to create some kind of mount, leveraging the four bolts.  Too late for this build though.

I'll use it again.. and the guts will look nicer next time.

midwayfair

Quote from: aballen on December 28, 2012, 06:17:58 AM
Second one on Brians forum, or second one period?

Actually, third, period. I forgot that Smallbear posted his Rangemaster thingie. The first one was the winner of the DIYSB Turkey Day contest (it was a Mutron V).

atreidesheir

Quote from: aballen on December 28, 2012, 06:02:51 AM
Quote from: wolfingsworth on December 27, 2012, 08:07:44 PM

Definitely a bear box.  It was tricky to get everything in there.  The board ended out being put in on a bit of an angle.  You like the graphic?  My wife designed the logo for me... I think I'm going to keep it.  The Kingslayer graphic on top is honestly a bit of a rip on Brians pedals. I really love his designs, in fact I was tempted to etch this one on a black pcb.
I would keep it.  I love the clean sharp look.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

aballen

It's an interesting pedal,  on my firefly tube amp it really does not seem to do much for me.

On my line 6 amp it makes a huge improvement.  The overdriven sound from the pedal seems much more natural than the amps distortion the decay seems more natural too.