News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dig Dug Troubleshooting

Started by buckysde, December 09, 2010, 06:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buckysde

Hello everyone,

I have just made my (first) attempt at wiring up my Dig Dug.  I've managed to avoid my usual 3pdt issues on this one.  However, a new problem has popped up.

I get a good signal in bypass and a good signal when engaged.  But the engaged signal in unaffected (no wah at all) I can hear the clock ticks and that changes when messing with the speed pot (as I would expect).  But the signal has no wah and no LEDs light.  It sounds to me like a pot board wiring issue.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jkokura

It sounds to me like you've got your input leaking to your output actually, which may be a pot wiring issue, it may not be.

What you need to do for us Bucky, is first to do some double checking:

Check all your parts are correct values
Check all your parts are the right orientation
Check all you solder joints for bridges, broken or bad joints (check the traces for breaks also)
Check all your wiring very carefully.

Then check it all again, don't assume you checked it right the first time - go get a coffee, and come back assuming you've never seen the pedal before. Fix anything you find, and then start over. Keep checking until all of those things are perfect.

Then, once that's done and it's still not working, you need to take some measurements. Using a DMM on DC voltage reading, check and then list here:

Voltage at the Power source
Voltage at the board's 9V in
Voltage at ground
Voltage at each pin of the transistors and IC's, list them out by name or number.
EG.
Q1 E
Q1 B
Q1 C

IC1 1
IC1 2
IC1 3
IC1 4
IC1 5
IC1 6
IC1 7
IC1 8

Also, you need to post really good pics so that we can help you see any problems you might not be aware of.

Finally, if you don't already have one, find out how to build an audio probe, because if it doesn't work after all of that you'll need to use one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

buckysde

Thank you for the suggestions.  Now that I have a few successful builds under my belt, I feel like I can take my time with this one.  It's not labled "Genius" level for nothing.

I will certainly post what I find.

Thanks!