News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rangemaster Part Question

Started by TreeSlayer, January 01, 2013, 11:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeSlayer

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 12, 2013, 03:05:20 AM
Hmm, my very first guess would be to double check the transistor orientation. The way old alloy junction BJT's are made there is a possibility that they work backwards (mixing up the collector and the emitter) but with altered properties like lowered gain. Can you confirm that the red dot on the side of the transistor casing is not at the socket point with the tab. The tab on the socket indicates the emitter and the red dot on the casing denotes the collector.

Other than that I would say voltage readings at all of the transistor leads would be the way to move forward.
i did have the red dot in the emitter, center pin base, third pin collector. i changed the emitter and collector and it actually sounds better the other way. i have .840v at the collector.
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

Quote from: Stomptown on January 12, 2013, 07:24:50 AM
Quote from: TreeSlayer on January 12, 2013, 12:28:21 AM
yes, i am using a madbean PCB. are there any others? ;{D

I think tonepad has one - or at least they used to. I just wanted to make sure cause it wasn't clear in the posts above. It sounds like you are fine with the small bear resistors in r1 and r2 then...
i was just messin with ya Stomptown! i'm just a diehard madbean fan. it's lookin like i have some voltage issues. i'm not getting but .840v at the collector. i think i'm supposed to have somewhere close to -7v....

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

TreeSlayer

;D gentlemen, she ROCKS! i put the transistor in with the red dot to the collector. and it was actually worse. as i stared at it, i realized i was assuming that the circuitry would reverse the polarity. i switched the power leads around and turned it on. i had all of the volumes turned up and when it came to life, me and the cat both jumped out of our skin! i just new i blew a speaker out on my amp! as it turns out everything is fine, except i probably won't see my cat for a week!

i just have one question. when i turn it on, there's a big POP as the switch makes contact. when i turn it off, the sound slowly fades away. of coarse, i have it hooked up to my tester. should that go away when i box it? thanks a million to everyone for the help! i hope to return the favor some time!  :)

jimilee

Guy troubleshooting step 1.turn it all the way up, that fixes everything. Why do we do that fellas? I'm as guilty as the next guy. Awesome to hear it roars.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: jimilee on January 12, 2013, 05:49:05 PM
Guy troubleshooting step 1.turn it all the way up, that fixes everything. Why do we do that fellas? I'm as guilty as the next guy. Awesome to hear it roars.
thanks, jimilee! i have the feelin this won't be the last time this happens!

still haven't seen the cat....  ::)

Stomptown

Quote from: TreeSlayer on January 12, 2013, 05:08:11 PM
;D gentlemen, she ROCKS! i put the transistor in with the red dot to the collector. and it was actually worse. as i stared at it, i realized i was assuming that the circuitry would reverse the polarity. i switched the power leads around and turned it on. i had all of the volumes turned up and when it came to life, me and the cat both jumped out of our skin! i just new i blew a speaker out on my amp! as it turns out everything is fine, except i probably won't see my cat for a week!

i just have one question. when i turn it on, there's a big POP as the switch makes contact. when i turn it off, the sound slowly fades away. of coarse, i have it hooked up to my tester. should that go away when i box it? thanks a million to everyone for the help! i hope to return the favor some time!  :)

Yeah buddy! Glad to hear shes a rockin! Hopefully we'll see a build report in the near future...