News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Video Demo - Arduinome [Monome clone] - blinking box

Started by GhostofJohnToad, January 12, 2013, 07:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostofJohnToad

So if you are unaware of what it is, my summary is that it's an 8x8 LED grid USB controller.  It does nothing by itself but can control midi among the other things it does.  One particular cool thing is to use it as a VU meter.  In the video I was testing the MAX/MSP app Polygome.  It generates a combination of midi notes that  I then routed the output of via virtual midi to a program called Renoise(a tracker).  From within Renoise the triggered midi notes then play sounds from a commodore64 like VST.  Whew.  Here's the vid.   

Not sure why it's cropped funny.  first time using my ipod to shoot a video.

Hardware:
Arduino Duemilanove
sparkfun pcbs and buttons
unsped shield - fabbed by OSHPark
3mm Green LEDs
3d printed and designed the case myself

This thing was a bitch.  I had numerous LEDs get fried or either just not work.  Wiring diagram on the arduinome site has a couple errors.  There is a crap-ton of software that needs to be flashed, installed, tweaked and modified.  But in the end it was worth it.  Been wanting to build one of these ever since I saw them.

jkokura

That is pretty rad. I can see a keyboardist really experimenting with that sort of thing. I wonder how that would sound through some fuzz...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Awesome work Keith... great job!
Looks like a really fun instrument to play

slimtriggers

Even if it did nothing other than light up in those crazy patterns, it would still be one of the most badass builds I've ever seen.  Very cool 8)

wolfingsworth

Tell us more about how you 3D printed the case! My Brother-in-law told me something about that process and I 'm really curious about your setup. Wicked cool project btw!

monkeyssj1

I can't believe you built one of these!!! Well done!

GhostofJohnToad

Quote from: wolfingsworth on January 25, 2013, 09:41:27 PM
Tell us more about how you 3D printed the case! My Brother-in-law told me something about that process and I 'm really curious about your setup. Wicked cool project btw!

I am fortunate enough to be a 3d designer with access to a 3d printer or FDM (fused deposition modeling) machine as it is called .  Our unit was made by Stratasys. The technology behind it, I describe, as a CNC hot glue gun.  Unlike A CNC machine, a 3d printer is additve vs subtractive.  It extrudes a thin filament of ABS plastic through a heated tip.  It builds from the bottom up and prints in layers.  This successive building of layers creates the part.  Other machines use slightly different materials, some laser sinter a liquid, laser sintering of sand, etc.

It is cool technology and DIY machines are popping up everywhere.  It is really an exciting time for the makers and I am fortunate to have access to it.  It's the next wave, liberation in personal manufacturing.

JakeFuzz

Very cool project! Did you program this thing yourself or is there a standard code for this?

You have a Stratasys  :o  Damn those things are nice! We use Solidoodle and Makerbots but the Stratasys stuff is on a whole new level. We used to have the laser sintered powder type which was a huge mess. That stage is pretty big too.

GhostofJohnToad

The software generates the G-Code.  It's really simple software for the basics.  It's pretty powerful though and can be tweaked heavily.  So much so that if you want to mess things up bad you could.  Packing too much material, etc.  our build tray is 10x10.  Getting the stl ready from CAD system is usually the most time consuming setup.  Nice thing about the Stratasys over the cheaper ones is that it has a heated chamber which gives a better surface finish.  Not as nice as the Objet however, which was what was used for a lot of Iron Man's costume in the movies.  The Objet technology is also not porous like the FDM method.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: GhostofJohnToad on January 26, 2013, 10:03:17 AM
The software generates the G-Code.  It's really simple software for the basics.  It's pretty powerful though and can be tweaked heavily.  So much so that if you want to mess things up bad you could.  Packing too much material, etc.  our build tray is 10x10.  Getting the stl ready from CAD system is usually the most time consuming setup.  Nice thing about the Stratasys over the cheaper ones is that it has a heated chamber which gives a better surface finish.  Not as nice as the Objet however, which was what was used for a lot of Iron Man's costume in the movies.  The Objet technology is also not porous like the FDM method.

I mean the Arduino code but yes we use some type of auto slicing CAM and parameter controller for ours as well. I think it is called Repetier. That is nice the chamber is heated, I believe only the stage on ours is heated. We can use sparse or dense fill for our structures but it is still pretty flexible afterwards. Very nice! You could make some custom crazy pedal enclosures, I have definitely thought about it. The problem would be cleaning out all that stringy supporting structure in the middle!

alanp

Saw a 3D printer a few months ago. WAY cool. It could print a ball bearing housing thing, that could move after it printed!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

GhostofJohnToad

On the arduino code-  all the hard work was done by others.  The arduinome project page has all the code bits.  I'm not that good programming arduinos yet to be able to handle what is going on.  I am merely standing on the backs of giants - getting a better look at the passing parade.

I have thought of making some interesting pedal boxes.  And actually the support material is entirely soluble, so get the bits out is no problem.  More of an issue I think may be shielding.  Does anyone make spray on shielding paint?