News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Big Orders

Started by Guitar Master, January 16, 2013, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guitar Master

Hey guys,

Now that I am getting the hang of this, I'm about to do my first really big order (including all the resistors, capacitors, etc for any build I want to do) for about $150, and I was just wondering how do you guys do it?

Do you just buy every value of ceramic, electro, and box caps and resistors? or are there you will never use (and how do you figure that out)?

Btw this is a tayda order because its so cheap  ;D

Thanks

jeffaroo

resistors i just usually order a huge assortment (throw leftovers at the cat)
but caps are a different thing, i would take a hard look at a bunch of BOM's
get the feel for a large cap order. i would recomend those parts drawers at Lowes and some labels.
it makes puting together a list SOOO much easier.
also dont forget to add your wire, shrink tubing and a handfull of assorted 16mm pots
if you dont have a breadboard yet, throw a large one on your order
wouldnt be a bad idea to stock up on leaded solder. i live in CA so im expecting te tree hugging hippies to take that away any day now   :o
Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

jeffaroo

also i forgot to mention. when i first started i would order 2x's what i needed. just incase of a f**k up.
as i evolved with the hobby i developed a nice stash by doing this. now i make this normal practice. just dont forget to mark your junk, its a pain in the ass if you throw it all in a coffee can.

whitebread47

When I make really big orders, I write down all the values on all the BOM's of planned builds and sometimes builds I "kind of want to build."  Then I simply add recurring values together to ensure I get enough.  Of course, there are certain values that pop up often, so I order them in larger amounts (like 10ok resistors, 10n caps, etc.).  Every three or so builds I find at least one part that is not super common, so I normally order at least a handful of that stuff for the stash.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

hammerheadmusicman

100n!! In the last week whilst waiting for my Tayda order to come, i must have been to the local electronics place 3 times to get 100n's! I think 'i'll just do this, then my order will be here'. Then i finish that, still no order! and so the vicious cycle perpetuates!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

jkokura

It's helpful to use a spreadsheet program.

What I would do is to not only list the projects you have on the go, but the potential ones for the future as well. Get more than you need. For instance, if you have all the parts listed for your 5 projects or so, and you need 3 10K resisotrs, 5 100K, and 2, 1M's, I'd get 10 of each. If you need like 25, 30 and 15, I'd get 50, 50, and 25. etc.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GermanCdn

I generally build my wish list of builds for the next 6 months, build up a components list off that, and then put in the mother Tayda order once or twice and year.  And a $50 order everytime there's a discount code.  But yeah, on the common stuff (1k, 10k, 100k, 1M, 10n, 100n, 220n, 1uf, 47 uF, etc, etc), I always order 10 more than I need, cause I'll use them. 
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

icecycle66

I think these lists are a good start.  (look at the zip file in the second post)
It gives a good idea of commonly used and rarely used parts based on madbean projects.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7498.msg64718#msg64718

jeffaroo

wgc

Quote from: jkokura on January 16, 2013, 11:20:52 PM
It's helpful to use a spreadsheet program.

What I would do is to not only list the projects you have on the go, but the potential ones for the future as well. Get more than you need. For instance, if you have all the parts listed for your 5 projects or so, and you need 3 10K resisotrs, 5 100K, and 2, 1M's, I'd get 10 of each. If you need like 25, 30 and 15, I'd get 50, 50, and 25. etc.

Jacob

I also usually buy about 2x what I need, though I've only recently gotten into pedals.  Also just entered my parts into a spreadsheet, along with a wishlist or next build boms. 

One tip is if you order from tayda, you can copy your invoices and paste the text into your spreadsheet.  Saves some typing, you get the tayda p/n, and it's easier to sort too. 

Next is to get some of those bins...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Guitar Master

Thanks guys! I got a huge bin sorter thing from goodwill when I started messing with electronics, I just need to fill it up! I think I will go 20 of each resistor, and then be selective on the caps because they get expensive, especially box caps :o I just can't wait for the new madbean projects to come out (zeropoint deluxe, etc)!

Thanks again

icecycle66

small bear has nice resistor kits.  100 of each resistor in a range.  THey are $20 a piece and you get the little tackle box with it.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/servlet/Categories?category=Resistors+-+1%2F4+Watt%2C+1%25+Metal+Film%3AMetal+Film+Resistor+Kits

jeffaroo

welcome to the club ! if you want to put a fire out quick go pick up a radio shack !/4w  resistor pack for $12.00 you get a decent assortment. ebay your next assortment after that. i bought a wall drawer thing from lowes that has 30 small drawers and 9 big ones. i got 2 and it works great $20.00 ea