News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Etching...

Started by JakeFuzz, December 13, 2010, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Etched my first couple of boards today. I am having difficulty getting to the final mask stage just before the etchant bath. I am using heavy stock, glossy photopaper from the laser printer at Kinko's. After very, very hot ironing and soaking for an hour or so i peel off the first couple layers of paper. My problem is removing the material between the traces, I use a toothbrush and a hobby razor but I either end up marring the traces or brushing things too far down. This stuff is tough to remove, any advice to get it off easier?

eniacmike

I use magazine paper it absorbs the water alot better. Even better is cheap glossy newspaper ads too. basically you want paper that is going to pulp up really easy. I have been using an issue of elektor for months now and it works great.

I just soak my boards for an hour and the paper falls right off.

I don't have much advice for the paper you used though, sorry.

JakeFuzz

Do you get that printed someplace or do you have a laser printer? I figured it must be the paper I am using, stuff just sticks like glue. I don't think the lady at Kinko's would be too happy if I asked her to print something out on a torn out magazine page.

Haberdasher

I can't speak to the paper you're using, but the stuff I have used is pretty touchy.  If too much heat is applied it sticks really bad just as you are describing, and I end up taking off toner traces trying to remove the paper.  However, if I use just right amount of heat and pressure, the paper comes right off in the water bath.  Unfortunately I can't describe how much heat and pressure it is because I use a laminator instead of an iron.

It sounds like you either need to experiment with the amount of heat used or try a different paper.  Like I said, that is just from my experience with the paper I've used- so it's really just a guess on my part- but I'd back off the heat.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

You need a different type of paper. Most glossy stock is not suitable for transfer. In this case, since you must have them done at a print shop, I suggest you spring for PNP Blue. You will be much more satisfied with the results. Sterling Ultra Digital will also work, but is a little trickier to use.

JakeFuzz

Press N Peel it is then. I am going to run this batch until I get it right and then buy a few sheets of that stuff for my next batch of boards. Thanks everyone.