News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking: buffered or true bypass?

Started by Rocktifier, December 15, 2010, 04:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

I'm building a sunking and wanted to know what people's thoughts were about building it buffered or true bypass.  I know the original was designed to be buffered.  Anyone see any "pros" or "cons" to either approach with this pedal?

jkokura

Buffered sounds fine to my ears. The buffer doesn't suck any tone that I can tell.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eniacmike

I think the buffer sounds great actually. I prefer it to the bypassed sound.

Rocktifier

Quote from: eniacmike on December 15, 2010, 04:26:53 PM

Interesting...so you've built it both ways then and like the buffered?

Thanks guys

camsna

Buffered. The Sunking's buffer sounds great!

eniacmike

Quote from: hammy9 on December 15, 2010, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: eniacmike on December 15, 2010, 04:26:53 PM

Interesting...so you've built it both ways then and like the buffered?

Thanks guys

I built the circuit up and hooked up the buffered output to my breadbox which I hook up to a true bypass switch (beavis board style) and compared the buffered to the true bypass signal and prefered the buffer so I ended up using the buffered bypass. you can do the same thing pretty easily. listen to the s4 pad that is the buffered output.

jackbart1960

Very cool to see this I just ordered the Sunking board last night with a Grapevine and was going to post this very question. I was planning to build it buffered but this just reinforces my idea. Always cool to have a buffered box to throw in a long chain.
Peace. J.J.B.

JakeFuzz

I didn't like the buffer. Switched it to TB the day I built it. Made everything after it sound really thin. Just my experience, sounds like lot of people really like it. I had it early in the chain, found it affected fuzz face type pedals the most.

jackbart1960

Jake just about any buffered pedal put before a FF type circuit is going to make it sound f'd up.
But from what I've heard and read (I really should be playing more) it's a good late in the chain box.
So the buffer to me would be a plus. Peace. Jack

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jackbart1960 on December 16, 2010, 06:08:58 AM
Jake just about any buffered pedal put before a FF type circuit is going to make it sound f'd up.
But from what I've heard and read (I really should be playing more) it's a good late in the chain box.
So the buffer to me would be a plus. Peace. Jack

Very true. I guess it is where you are going to want to have it in the chain. I like it as a booster to drive my other pedals so I put it early. I knew it was going to mess with my FF pedals b/c of the impedance that design likes to see but it did do some weird things before my other drive pedals. 

jackbart1960

My FD II MOSFET takes on that chore. A very cool driver for the front end chain. But I just ordered this very board and I'll chime in with a education when I've got it built.
Peace. J.J.B.

B_of_H

the buffer on the previous project was terrible but that was due to an error.  The new layout/instructions are corrected and that buffer sounds good to my ears.  It really doesn't matter IMO. 

JakeFuzz

Quote from: jackbart1960 on December 16, 2010, 11:17:24 PM
My FD II MOSFET takes on that chore. A very cool driver for the front end chain. But I just ordered this very board and I'll chime in with a education when I've got it built.
Peace. J.J.B.

I use an FD II Mosfet (the red one). The sunking and the fulldrive cover very similar ground, I still prefer the FDII at 18 volts to just about anything else I have tried. Sunking is more meaty and has better clarity but the fulldrive just has something about it.