News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

How many pedals can I fit into one enclosure...1590DD or other

Started by Rocktifier, December 15, 2010, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktifier

How many overdrive/distortions can I fit into one enclosure like a 1590 DD (7.4 x 4.7 x 1.3)?  Obviously it depends on what overdrives, but lets just say, a sunking, king of klones, serendipity, glitterrattii.  Or slow loris, boomstick, chunk chunk, and a booster (slambox or fatpants). 
Q1: Can I fit four into one box? 
Q2: Also is there any enclosure out there bigger than the 1590DD?

jkokura

Yes, four in one box is very doable. The hindrance has more to do with switches than pcbs - try fitting more than 4 stomp switches In a 1590DD.

There are the deeper 1590d boxes. There's more room inside the enclosure if you need. Other than that, the enclosures get impractical.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jprizz

I just happened to be looking into this... These are new styles I found on Mouser's website.

1550Z: 8.76" x 5.77" x 2.16"

1550G: 8.74" x 5.75" x 2.01"

1550WJ: 10.83" x 6.89" x 2.46"

B_of_H

I like my switches about 2.5" apart so I put 3 in one DD box max.

I could put more with a relay switch but i've tried to stagger 4 switches in there and it was a little too close for my big feet. 

jkokura

Quote from: B_of_H on December 15, 2010, 10:15:26 PM

I could put more with a relay switch but i've tried to stagger 4 switches in there and it was a little too close for my big feet. 

Actually, that would logically put the max at 4 switches. The box is about 7.5 inches wide, so if you put two switches at the edges, you'd have the centres of the two middle switches at about 2.25 inches apart. You can do it.

That said, it sounds like you've tried and not found an acceptable distance between the switches. I'm sure you're right that it doesn't work for you, but you can get almost 2.5 inches between switches.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

The other thing to consider is current draw, and how you will be powering all four. It might be prudent to use two separate 9v supplies...one supply per two effects.

It all depends on what kind of supply you are using.

B_of_H

Quote from: jkokura on December 15, 2010, 10:56:25 PM
Quote from: B_of_H on December 15, 2010, 10:15:26 PM

Actually, that would logically put the max at 4 switches. The box is about 7.5 inches wide, so if you put two switches at the edges, you'd have the centres of the two middle switches at about 2.25 inches apart. You can do it.

That said, it sounds like you've tried and not found an acceptable distance between the switches. I'm sure you're right that it doesn't work for you, but you can get almost 2.5 inches between switches.

Jacob

yeah, the switch itself doesn't go flush with the side, I think on the DD that I tried to put 4 on I actually put the switches on the edge about an inch more towards the back of the enclosure and the two in the middle up against the front.  Still it was so close that in trying to hit them while playing I would have to really be careful.  In a gig situation that would be a no-go for me as I'm usually kinda sloppy in this regard. 

this is a D box but same dimmensions.  I moved the switches over to the left to give a little more room for the pedal on the right.

on the bottom right here is a DD box with 2.5" spacing equal distance across the front.  The 3pdt switches on the sides only have a little bit of room between the edge of the enclosure maybe less than a 1/2 an inch.   

as far as power goes...

i've had no problem using a PP2 powering dirt/compression/modulation effects in them.  Some delay circuits though use a lot of juice and on the D box I posted above I used two 250ma outputs from the pp2 to power it.  If I tried to use the normal 100ma outputs then it wouldn't work and one 250ma out made a whining noise. 

small fish

Just wondering....you got no probs steppin on these?  ???

Dark stage...a little bit of tap dancin...it works??

as I said, just wondering  ;)
Guitars are made of trees! Paper is made of trees!
Recycle your paper, so there are more trees left - to make guitars!

rowland1

Thanks for the comments about power supply. As I was reading the thread, I was wondering about that.

What if I was only going to use 1 (maybe 2) at a time, could I use 1 power jack? I've got too many overdrive pedals but like them all. I rarely use more than 1 at a time and it would be nice to pack 3 or 4 into 1 box with only 1 power plug. It seams like it should be OK, but would like to get confirmation.

Thanks!!