News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tone press

Started by princeton, December 15, 2010, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

princeton

If not already requested by someone  I would like to make a request. The Barber Tone Press.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: princeton on December 15, 2010, 11:48:51 AM
If not already requested by someone  I would like to make a request. The Barber Tone Press.

+1

I've always seen people try and describe the blend feature then just say it is a modified dyna/ross compressor. I have yet to see anyone produce a decent schematic or layout for one of these things.

pauloman80

--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

ckyvick

The byoc comp is based on the dyna/ross and also has a blend knob if you want to see how theirs looks:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/211/5knobschematic.gif

But there are some gutshots here, perhaps madbean can decode AG's post on the second page?
http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=50&hilit=tone+press

jkokura

Considering how 'inexpensive' the tone press is in the world of boutique, I'm not sure this is the kind of pedal I'd like to see. We could in theory be buying one used for a bit more than the average build after shipping and such. I know, some people can build a pedal for pretty inexpensive, but the average one-off with graphics and finishing and such will be 60 bucks plus after shipping and parts.

I like the sound of a tonepress a lot. I don't own one, but want to. I love Ross Compressors a lot, much more than many. I'm also fascinated by the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone (the Ge edition looks amazing) and the Diamond gets lots of raves.

However, there are lots of Ross based builds available, like the BYOC models, the GGG comp, the Tonepad builds, and all the DIY Stompboxes layout galleries options. What's more, David Barber is a DIY supporting kind of guy who's given away the LTD Silver to the community but should we take advantage of him? He's one of only a couple DIY guys I feel bad for using his 'bread and butter' products in a DIY way.

I think Bean is working on the Compulator, which is an Optical Compressor. If he isn't, then that's my vote for the next comp available. Ross comps are everywhere, but there are hardly any optical compressor options available for DIY. I think it's possible to make the Compulator comp include a Blend control, so if I get a vote, it's for the Demeter Optical Compulator with a Blend knob.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jackbart1960

jstbrowsin

^+100000000000  +1 more  ;D

madbean

Jacob's post very much echoes my sentiments. While I have no problem creating projects for almost any effect (this IS diy, after all), that doesn't necessarily mean I want to sell PCBs for them. Actually, as time goes on it's more of the opposite!

Just to expand a bit further on Jacob's comments:

Looking forward to the coming year, you can expect far fewer clone type projects. I do plan on visiting some classics and offering updated versions where existing designs might be lacking, or perhaps something that's never been done in DIY form. But, I wouldn't count on very many projects for pedals that are currently in the market. There will be a couple that are already planned, but for the most part the focus of MBP is about to shift to the next evolution. More on that later.

FYI: I don't want to discourage anyone from making requests! That's what this part of the forum is for, and there are no "wrong" requests. I will try to be up-front as possible in responding as to whether or not I am likely to act. I pass absolutely no judgment on any request for DIY projects :)

pandadandan

Quote from: madbean on December 16, 2010, 01:49:00 AM
Jacob's post very much echoes my sentiments. While I have no problem creating projects for almost any effect (this IS diy, after all), that doesn't necessarily mean I want to sell PCBs for them. Actually, as time goes on it's more of the opposite!

Just to expand a bit further on Jacob's comments:

Looking forward to the coming year, you can expect far fewer clone type projects. I do plan on visiting some classics and offering updated versions where existing designs might be lacking, or perhaps something that's never been done in DIY form. But, I wouldn't count on very many projects for pedals that are currently in the market. There will be a couple that are already planned, but for the most part the focus of MBP is about to shift to the next evolution. More on that later.

FYI: I don't want to discourage anyone from making requests! That's what this part of the forum is for, and there are no "wrong" requests. I will try to be up-front as possible in responding as to whether or not I am likely to act. I pass absolutely no judgment on any request for DIY projects :)

Makes sense, especially with your shift towards manufactured pcbs.  I can imagine that it feels much less conscience-free when you have to order 100 units of the same board as opposed to receiving and order and making a board on an "as needed" basis when those boards are based upon current production effects.

I'm actually extremely interested in how you will expand.  I feel that one-to-one clones are for the most part lacking the spirit of why I DIY in the first place; to get exactly what I want.  If I want a perfect clone, I may as well buy an original.  If I want something with bells and whistles, I get a Madbean board and mod it to my liking. 

In fact,the only "stock" pedal I have is a fuzz factory, but even then the in/out caps are different.  And I don't use it so much, either ;D

claytushaywood

sorry to bring up old posts, but is there even a schematic available for the tone press?  I just wanna see how they did the blend circuit as it performs better than any different combo of compressor and blend ive tried (maybe like 3 different combos).  But yeh that blend is seamless, i have not had an opportunity to play the BYOC 5 knob. 

JC103

Bump. Is there anything special about the fet style blend that Barber used on the TP? Could it be adapted for use with a Boss CS-2 clone?