News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2013 - ARGGH! New Postal Rates - International customers must read.

Started by madbean, January 28, 2013, 07:58:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

NEVERMIND! GOOD NEWS!

International service on packages has changed, and so have prices. After investigating, I've found the difference between package and envelope prices are now HUGE, whereas they were pretty near the same last year for the type and contents I ship.

I have identified that pretty much ALL MBP packages will be able to ship without using the new, more expensive postage prices. In fact, I am LOWERING the prices for now. The key here is thickness for all you shippers. If it is under 3/4" you are good to go.

These are the rates for now:

Int'l:1 or 2 PCBs: $3.00
3 to 5 PCBs: $3.50
6 to 10 PCBs: $4.25
11 or more: $5.00

Scruffie

Jesus christ! That is a lot of money for a small package, I know it's not your fault but why on earth did they suddenly hike it quite so much.

I sent an entire pedal to the U.S. for the cost of 11 PCB shipping the other day.

Ah well, just have to mean larger less regular orders... still...
Works at Lectric-FX

Haberdasher

oh damn!  I have a few intnl packages to ship today myself, this bites. >:(
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

whitebread47

That increase is ridiculous!  I guess now I'll be sending international mail less.  :(

About a month ago, I went to mail something to Canada as I often do.  The postal worker got annoyed and had to enter all the information on the customs form manually, and he said it was a new policy.  Thing is, I don't think they'll make more money this way.
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

:( It's one of those things. Nowt we can do about it.

It explains why the postage on the Chilicon board I got from Barry was so expensive a couple of days ago. It was more than the board! It meant that I got some of his wire to try (as adding 30ft of that on didn't change it much), but it certainly means that ordering odd boards is off the table these days :(

Also a bugger as I want an odd couple from Keefe at the min again... I'll have to get a bigger order together.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

Wait, I might be wrong.

My software seems to be calculating things differently. Let me investigate.

The rates are correct, but the calculation between envelope and package is quite different now.

midwayfair

USPS.com is quoting me $1.55 for a 3-ounce "letter with a rigid object" to Canada. If you ship with them taped to a piece of paper, you can fit 2-3 boards in a single letter-sized envelope without going over 1/4" and they are marked as non-machinable.

Package rate says $6.16 online price.

madbean

Okay, I changed the first post. I've determined that prices WILL NOT have to be raised. In fact, since the difference between package and envelope is so different now (1st Class Package is now a different service for USPS it seems) I will be able to maintain (even lower) prices slightly.

Sorry, I freaking panicked!

madbean

Yeah, I'm feeling confident about this now. I read some more on Flats vs. package requirements. Any of you guys shipping PCBs should be able to qualify for Flats service so long as you are talking just a few at a time.

The difference is in flexibility. Flats have to have 1" flexibility at the edges of envelopes without damaging the contents. I just tested some shipments out and it seems to be no problem..If you want to read more, check section 2.3a and b here: http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/101.htm#1040242

I think using an even larger envelope is a good idea.

I guess I'll find out pretty soon if my theory is true or not. I hope this stuff goes through okay!

gtr2

Quote from: whitebread47 on January 28, 2013, 08:18:31 AM
That increase is ridiculous!  I guess now I'll be sending international mail less.  :(

About a month ago, I went to mail something to Canada as I often do.  The postal worker got annoyed and had to enter all the information on the customs form manually, and he said it was a new policy.  Thing is, I don't think they'll make more money this way.

You can fill out the customs form online on USPS, print it, tape it on the envelope, and still pay at the post office if necessary.  For about 6 months USPS have had to manually enter the data if you use one of the old carbon copy forms.  They hate it.  I've made many friends by completing the required documentation online :) but I also use Endicia, it saves me headaches too.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

whitebread47

Quote from: gtr2 on January 28, 2013, 09:21:27 AM

You can fill out the customs form online on USPS, print it, tape it on the envelope, and still pay at the post office if necessary.  For about 6 months USPS have had to manually enter the data if you use one of the old carbon copy forms.  They hate it.  I've made many friends by completing the required documentation online :) but I also use Endicia, it saves me headaches too.

Josh

I didn't know that, thanks for the info! 
Blake

"I don't think people are looking for the meaning of life as much as they are looking for the experience of being alive." - Joseph Campbell

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

madbean

Well, so far as I can tell my envelopes pass the rigidity test. But, I'm pretty much going to be at the mercy of whatever Post Office worker does the sorting into the machines. I'll have the final answer within the next 2-3days, I think, once these hit the Miami facility. In the meantime, I'll just ship as normal until I know different.

I really hope this works out since doubling the postage rates is going to suck for international peeps.

gtr2

I've been shipping the envelope flat internationally for about a year without issue.  Well...except one that went missing on it's way to Russia.  But ironically I've had more package rate stuff (with confirmation) held up in the US.  They seem to go missing much more often only to turn up months later at the customers house...

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on January 28, 2013, 10:47:32 AM
Well, so far as I can tell my envelopes pass the rigidity test. But, I'm pretty much going to be at the mercy of whatever Post Office worker does the sorting into the machines.

Yes, it's very subjective. One of the guys at my local PO told me their classification term is "non-machinable" for things with rigid contents. The envelope needs to be able to bend to a certain degree to make it through the auto-sorting machine. If it can't, it has to be manually sorted, and that costs more.

For domestic delivery, for example, a standard letter of 1oz or less is 47 cents, and a non-machinable letter of the same size and weight would take the "oversized" rate, which is currently 66 cents.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects