News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weener mountain of caps!

Started by DutchMF, February 02, 2013, 10:15:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

So I thought to myself, I'm gonna make my Weener into something special!  :D So when I placed an order at Banzai, I included some nice carbon comp resistors, and some Mallory axial capacitors. Now, the CC's are no problem, but the caps are another matter, take a look:

As you'll probably understand, the axial caps are quite a bit bigger than I thought (I looked them up on the datasheet and thought: "nah, those will fit"  ::)) Now I do think I can cram them in there if I first solder in all the other components, but is this something I should be trying in the first place? If not, then I have some nice axial caps for sale....... Advice would be much appreciated!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

jkokura

You probably got the 400 or 630V type! The 150V type were the ones you should have looked at...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

nzCdog

Quote"nah, those will fit"
hehe... yup I've done this before too, ended up having to wire another 'daughter-board' vero with the big caps and wire it back to the main board.  Your mountain looks cool anyway 8)

DutchMF

Quote from: jkokura on February 02, 2013, 11:36:34 AM
You probably got the 400 or 630V type! The 150V type were the ones you should have looked at...

Jacob

Yeah, they are all 630V types, and they'll probably never see more than a few mV's! Think my Weener is not getting finished anytime soon. Getting me some new caps, and keep these for a future amp build? Or just sell them off!!

Paul

jkokura

Quote from: DutchMF on February 02, 2013, 01:51:52 PM
Quote from: jkokura on February 02, 2013, 11:36:34 AM

Jacob

Yeah, they are all 630V types, and they'll probably never see more than a few mV's! Think my Weener is not getting finished anytime soon. Getting me some new caps, and keep these for a future amp build? Or just sell them off!!

Paul

You're thinking mA's... If you run your weener of a battery those caps may see as much as 9V... so even 150V caps are killing it.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aballen

Dude is that mountain going to fit in a wah shell?

hammerheadmusicman

if it fits in the shell. i say leave them be!
I play Guitar, and Build Stuff..

DutchMF

I decided to ditch 2 of the 220n ones and one of the 100n's, replace them with box caps and keep the rest.... Anyway, this isn't finished yet......

Paul