CLRs - suggestions for diffused vs. waterclear, superbright, etc.

Started by Bret608, February 11, 2013, 02:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bret608

Hi everyone,

I tried a diffused 5mm LED in a build for the first time recently, and I used the 4.7k for CLR that I've been using for Kingbright waterclear LEDs up to now. It seems like it's not quite bright enough.

So, in order to make this a learning experience (and realizing taste plays a role here), what are some good starting points for CLRs for particular kinds of LEDs?

Thanks!

Bret

GermanCdn

I use 2.2 k almost exclusively, although I don't think I could give a hard and fast rule on what to use for what type as it is really manufacturer dependant.  Point in case, the waterclears from Tayda are all over the map - a 2.2 k and the blue waterclear will actually hurt your eyes it's so bright, while the greens are dull in the same setup.  I've got greens from other Chinese suppliers that are blinding at 2.2k.

One thing I've seen on here and am going to try when I remember is is installing a 5 k trimpot on one of Josh's 3PDT boards.  That way you can tailor your LED brightness.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

wgc

I start with 4.7k which seems good for diffused, but for the tayda 3mm waterclear blue even 10k leaves them pretty bright.   The 3mm waterclear orange seem happy around 2.2k.  Doesn't take too long to try a few values prior to installing, but thinking i might start to just pick one color and standardize.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Bret608

Thanks guys! I know what you mean, wgc...4.7k has been fine for me except for an "ultraviolet" from PPP and this yellow diffused I mentioned above. Thinking I may just stick with the ones where I know 4.7k works.

Haberdasher

yellow and green diffused are typically not very bright so definitely drop the clr value for those
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

For diffused you can go as low as 330R I find. That's pretty bright.

For water clear, I prefer really high CLR values...up to 22k even. I don't like getting my retinas burned out :)