News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dull joints - should I be worried?

Started by camsna, December 20, 2010, 07:19:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

So probably the second thing I learned when I was taught to solder was - a dull joint is a cold joint. Reflow it so it's nice 'n' shiny. (The first thing was, don't touch that. It's hot.)

Well I've got som new solder (Cardas Tri Eutectic - silver bearing, lead-free) and no matter how I try, how hot I crank my iron up, the joints always go dull when they dry. Some are a little shinier than others, but they're all kind of dull, not mirror shiny like 60/40.

Super-shiny and beautiful when molten, dull when solid. I built a Firebomb with the stuff and it works and sounds great. So I think it's okay, but need some advice from the fellas who know :)

And the other thing is I'm having some issues with the high melting point of this solder. Any advice about how NOT to melt the crap out of everything? Hahahaha.

Thanks!!!

oldhousescott

The new lead-free solder and the eutectic solder both look dull when set. As long as your technique is good, your joints are probably fine.

jkokura

You could go back to 60/40. That will make it easier to solder at lower temp and give you shininess.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

madbean

Slightly dull - not a big deal
Smokey looking - bad solder