News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cornish P2 workalike possibility???

Started by bradberry00, February 12, 2013, 01:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bradberry00

Hello All,

First post. I'm going to try to start off with a bang.

So it is said that the Cornish P2 is basically a Rams Head Big Muff with flat mids and the cornish buffers. So my question is if I add all of the buffer sections from the Darkside (http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/Darkside/docs/Darkside_ver.2.pdf) to the Mudbunny built to Rams head specs and put a 10n cap in c10, do you think I would be in the ball park for a P2 workalike?

thanks,
-david

jonrhee

I have a madbean project doc for the P2 if it's alright to post?

bradberry00

madbean

I don't even remember doing that, but I do seem to have the files. I'm not positive of the accuracy...I have no recollection on where the values came from.

Here's the schematic for the dirt part.

bradberry00

cool!

do you think the buffers really make much difference in sound?

jimijam

I built bean's p2 project and it is an outstanding fuzz. I like it much more than the g2 clones. super musical fuzz with an interesting tone control. my favorite fuzz at the moment.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

madbean

Quote from: bradberry00 on February 13, 2013, 11:31:38 AM
cool!

do you think the buffers really make much difference in sound?

I'm sure they make some difference. I don't know whether that would a plus or a negative though.

bradberry00

hope this is cool, I frankensteined the schematic you posted with the Darkside buffers/power.

think this would give me the cornish buffers?

I am just curious about the mojo these things have, i may make one bufferless and one with buffers to see what is best.

Do you think the additional power filtering (i think that is whats going on with the extra components in the power section) like the darkside is necessary?

JC103

cajone5

Also interested in a PCB of this guy... or if someone knows of a vero layout.  I am still on the paint by numbers path and creating a vero from that schematic is far above my ability level.  :o

jubal81

Quote from: cajone5 on January 06, 2017, 08:26:35 AM
Also interested in a PCB of this guy... or if someone knows of a vero layout.  I am still on the paint by numbers path and creating a vero from that schematic is far above my ability level.  :o

You could do it with a Mudbunny PCB and use a second Cornish buffer PCB.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

devilsnight

Quote from: cajone5 on January 06, 2017, 08:26:35 AM
or if someone knows of a vero layout
I really like looking at this schematic for some reason :P , A vero layout would be great. I'll try and revisit this tommarow!

warriorpoet

Quote from: jimijam on February 13, 2013, 01:52:17 PM
I built bean's p2 project and it is an outstanding fuzz. I like it much more than the g2 clones. super musical fuzz with an interesting tone control. my favorite fuzz at the moment.

Not that I disagree that the P2 is great, but have you tried the G2 fixes, yet? It's an AMAZING circuit.
Mzo.FX, Owner

cajone5

Have my duplex drive 90% done... just waiting on Tayda for some resistors.  Didn't want to do multi-resistor math on this one since it's already so neat and tidy looking :)  So I'll have a G2 with the mods in that one build thread soon.

In addition, if the nerve strikes, I'll be putting a P2 on a mudbunny board sometime this year.  The schematics pretty much line up exactly so the part swaps should be easy to sort out.

warriorpoet

Quote from: cajone5 on January 09, 2017, 08:55:58 AM
Have my duplex drive 90% done... just waiting on Tayda for some resistors.  Didn't want to do multi-resistor math on this one since it's already so neat and tidy looking :)  So I'll have a G2 with the mods in that one build thread soon.

In addition, if the nerve strikes, I'll be putting a P2 on a mudbunny board sometime this year.  The schematics pretty much line up exactly so the part swaps should be easy to sort out.
Best of both worlds!
Mzo.FX, Owner