News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slappin' and Choppin'

Started by CRBMoA, December 22, 2010, 10:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRBMoA

For those of you that do not know, I have been a bass player for 30+ years, and started playing serious electric guitar in that past couple of years because it is kinda hard to build effects well if you don't understand how they tweak sound. So......I have been building my way through every new project that comes up, and I have done most of THAT by agreeing to build circuits I have never played, which forces me to learn. I work best under pressure.

Having said all that, I just want to plug THIS 'Bean project. It is rated as a cowboy build, but I don't even think it is that hard. It was a piece of cake.

Basically, you have a circuit that can boost or cut harmonic overtones. An EQ cuts or boosts frequencies. This deals with the ringing, shimmering and rumbling of the sympathetic frequencies relative to what you are playing. That is the technical explanation.

What it does is give you the ability to boost or cut harmonic highs and lows, based on the center frequency that you choose, and with the 'bandwidth' knob, you can shape the boost/cut to be an ice pick or a broom.

Seriously, even if you have NO IDEA what I just posted, buy this board and build this circuit.

Merry Christmas

maysink

What he said. Looking for info on the S.H.E. is what led me to this site!
[nothing to see here]
-e

Myramyd

So CRBMoA,

How does it sound with a bass out of curiosity?

I have been intrigued by this pedal as well.

J

Jordo

I built this not having high expectations and it has become one of my favorites! 

So good for lead guitar...the best way to describe it is you get a crystal clear glass sound that sings and sings when doubled with overdrive or distortion.  particularly good with the krankosaurus.

ckyvick

Basically its like a dirty-ish stuck wah effect(you can set it to sound like "money for nothin") but the thing has a HUGE range of wah, from very low to very high.
^^Les Claypool owns one if that helps ;D

CRBMoA

Quote from: Myramyd on December 22, 2010, 09:25:45 PM
So CRBMoA,

How does it sound with a bass out of curiosity?

I have been intrigued by this pedal as well.

J

I haven't tried it. But, I will give it a whirl before I ship it and let you know. I suspect the voicing may be a little too high, BUT, there were some THUNDEROUS harmonic lows that were generated with my 6 string. It might actually sound HUGE with a bass.

Dangit! Now I want to go home and try it. Stoopid work!