News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wiring method questions

Started by lincolnic, May 05, 2010, 06:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

Looking at the PDF documentation for most of these projects, I've noticed that they use a wiring method I've never seen before. Granted, the only other pedals I've built have been kits from BYOC, but their method makes sense to me, and I'm not experienced enough with this to really understand what's going on in the Madbean wiring method.

I guess my question is, is there a particular benefit to wiring using the method in the documentation versus the BYOC method? Is it just personal preference?

And, if someone has the time, could you break down what's actually going on in the Madbean method? I'd really appreciate knowing why it works. Thanks!

madbean

Actually, it's not my method at all. It's the one suggested by Skreddy over at diystompboxes a few years ago. It's really simple: when the switch is in the 'down' position (ie fx is bypassed) the fx input is grounded through the middle column of lugs and the input is connected directly to the output. When the switch is in the 'up' position, the input is taken to the fx input, and the LED comes on because it is grounded through the far left column of lugs. On the right side, the fx output is connected to the output jack.

The three grounded lugs are all connected, although they don't have to be. The advantage of connecting them together with wire is that if the switch ever fails everything remains grounded through that hardwired connection.

lincolnic

Thanks Brian - that all makes a lot of sense to me. (Funny how things right in front of your nose become clear once someone explains them.)

I'll try this way on my next build!

lincolnic

Actually, there's still something I'm not quite grasping. If there's nothing connected to the input sleeve, how is the input grounded when the effect is engaged? Or is there just an obvious explanation that I'm missing because it's really late at night?

madbean

The jack is grounded through the enclosure. It's usually only necessary to ground the sleeve of one jack because of this. If you use the ones with plastic casings, it i a good idea to ground both sleeves.

lincolnic

Right, that'll teach me to stop trying to think about wiring in the middle of the night. Thanks for the explanations!

irmcdermott

I'm working on my first pedal that I'm not putting a battery in. I have a ton of stereo jacks. What is the best way to wire that up? Just ground the ring and still leave the sleeve unconnected? I'm trying to troubleshoot because I get power to it but the only way to get sound is when i crank it, and even then it's almost inaudible. any thoughts would be appreciated.

irmcdermott

hey! nevermind! i figured it out. I had a bad ground connection and fixing that seems to fix it. so, i'm guessing that since the pedal works, that wiring the jack up that way works!