News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny

Started by garfo, February 28, 2013, 09:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garfo

i want to build a muff,but i don't know which one.i one that is high on gain,beefy but not too muddy either.i want to play stonerrock.i already have a germanium fuzzface but its not strong enough.one that ive built before and liked it with strat was the ggg tuned version.i dont want to go through ggg boards anymore,too much trouble.any suggestion?the kind of sound would be smaching pumpkins style meloncholy.any suggestion?

DutchMF

First suggestion would be to build a Violet Ram's Head, as that is a nice allround Fuzz. Socket the diodes and trannies and experiment some with those. Another idea would be to hit your FuzzFace with a booster. If you can get your hands on some different models, see what you like best. Might take some tweaking of the gain/volume of the fuzz and the boost control, but when you balance them right, you can get some really cool tones, just stack 'm up!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

garfo

i already have a cherrybomb and a superhardon clone.they do not do the trick for what i want.that idea is nice for soloing.my idea is for riffing.i was thinking on the triangle but ill check the ramshead.goes without saying that opam version is not a option.i have some bc549c (i believe those r the ones i have) to build around.
Quote from: DutchMF on February 28, 2013, 09:18:06 PM
wFirst suggestion would be to build a Violet Ram's Head, as that is a nice allround Fuzz. Socket the diodes and trannies and experiment some with those. Another idea would be to hit your FuzzFace with a booster. If you can get your hands on some different models, see what you like best. Might take some tweaking of the gain/volume of the fuzz and the boost control, but when you balance them right, you can get some really cool tones, just stack 'm up!

Paul

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on February 28, 2013, 09:01:43 PM
i want to build a muff,but i don't know which one.i one that is high on gain,beefy but not too muddy either.i want to play stonerrock.i already have a germanium fuzzface but its not strong enough.one that ive built before and liked it with strat was the ggg tuned version.i dont want to go through ggg boards anymore,too much trouble.any suggestion?the kind of sound would be smaching pumpkins style meloncholy.any suggestion?

Only one choice (well two, a real Skreddy ?Lady if you can find one). You will not get a thicker meaner muff that stays well defined.

Requires a little fettling to do on a MB as it has a mids pot. But it's easy enough (showing below).

Details here:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/muffbuild.html

Has a BC109C in Q4. All obtainables in Q1-3. Socket them if you want to experiment as if you can get them, 2SC1327 are the bollocks. Put the highest gain ones in Q2 & 3 if you go with those. Leave the 109 in 4.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

garfo

In the project, isn't that the Mayo version?
This one looks interesting as well.

pryde

Quote from: garfo on March 01, 2013, 12:11:37 PM
In the project, isn't that the Mayo version?
This one looks interesting as well.

The Mayo is a great all-around variant that has plenty of meat; however, I would build juansolo's ultrastoner as it seams to fit the bill for heavy-stoner riffage. JS has the ear for this so feel confident with his suggestions  :)

garfo

im confusedd,didnt he suggest the scredy lady,or are they the same!?

Rockhorst

I built a Russian and Ram's Head spec. They're different, but both very cool. Russian is a bit more aggresive, Ram's is a bit muddier/fuller, to my ears.

garfo

Thanks guys, will be going with the Superstoner.What is the value of the Mids pot?

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on March 01, 2013, 02:55:59 PM
im confusedd,didnt he suggest the scredy lady,or are they the same!?

The ?lady is oop as it's made with unobtainable transistors (Skreddy stopped making it when he ran out). But it's in the spreadsheet if you want to build it (use the Ultrastoner alternatives). The US uses a couple of resistor changes to make the mid pot work nice, but otherwise it's a Lady with obtainable transistors.

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on March 01, 2013, 10:18:36 PM
Thanks guys, will be going with the Superstoner.What is the value of the Mids pot?

B50K. There are a few notes on the build in the sheet (inc the pot) http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

If you look closely at the pic there's a resistor on the mid line and one on the centre tone line, again noted in the sheet.

garfo

cool man...thanks.Listen, I can't get those trannies you suggested for Q2 and 3, i'll use bc547C instead, anny suggestion for Q1 instead of 2n2088? I have some bc183's, would those do the trick, or better bc 109C?
Quote from: juansolo on March 02, 2013, 12:20:46 AM

B50K. There are a few notes on the build in the sheet (inc the pot) http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/Muffs.htm

juansolo

Quote from: garfo on March 02, 2013, 12:23:07 AM
cool man...thanks.Listen, I can't get those trannies you suggested for Q2 and 3, i'll use bc547C instead, anny suggestion for Q1 instead of 2n2088? I have some bc183's, would those do the trick, or better bc 109C?
Quote from: juansolo on March 02, 2013, 12:20:46 AM

Q1 is the lowest gain of the lot so suck it and see. Socket those three and try what you've got.

garfo

Nice, thanks man, I found that article today and I've checked for the components for the ultra stoner it sounds as a I like it.I will try my mods as well, perhaps 6.8 n instead of 5.6.Will experiment with different diodes.Yep, I noticed how everything is wired and I took note of the values already.Thanks man, a new fuzz is on the pan :)

garfo

Ei, back at the mudbunny, I can't put it to workR6, should it be 10 or 18k???
Quote from: juansolo on March 01, 2013, 10:07:12 AM
Quote from: garfo on February 28, 2013, 09:01:43 PM

Only one choice (well two, a real Skreddy ?Lady if you can find one). You will not get a thicker meaner muff that stays well defined.

Requires a little fettling to do on a MB as it has a mids pot. But it's easy enough (showing below).

Details here:

http://juansolo.demon.co.uk/stompage/muffbuild.html

Has a BC109C in Q4. All obtainables in Q1-3. Socket them if you want to experiment as if you can get them, 2SC1327 are the bollocks. Put the highest gain ones in Q2 & 3 if you go with those. Leave the 109 in 4.