News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

quasar ac booster

Started by 23h2o, February 28, 2013, 07:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

23h2o

Hello all, just finished building this pedal, voltages look good on the IC using a NE5532, powers up, but all it does is hum loudly either engaged or bypassed. Checked orientation of what I think is the last dc blocking cap and its oriented right. Components checked out alright and all caps are oriented correctly. used 2sc1815 (gr) . battery is right at 9 v. Switch and jacks are wired correctly, its late will have a go with audio probe soon. Any ideas?

thanks sands

alexradium

Inviato dal mio Galaxy Nexus con Tapatalk 2

23h2o

oldhousescott

Even if the board is hosed, if the switch and jacks are wired properly, you should get signal in bypass. I know you've checked (double, triple) the jack and switch wiring, but look again. Post high-res pics if you can, that may help.

23h2o

thanks, am about to do that and pull out the audio probe

ch1naski

I'm going with a ground issue. Check continuity on the tip to tip/sleeve to sleeve on the jacks. Then engage the footswitch and check again.
I've had bad ground issues when using a painted enclosure, thinking I didn't need to ground the output since it was connected to the enclosure. I was wrong.::)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

23h2o

correct good sir.... using a powder coated enclosure, grounded the sleeve on the output and wahla pedal came to life.... was pissing me off triple checked everything, good. got out the probe signal all the way to the output, said screw it gonna ground that output jack boom there it was.

been a while since i built a pedal and was really anticipating this pedal... mehhh. bass works good could use more on the treble knob, gains good, could use more volume for boosting... subbed a 1M for gain pot, may try a 500k for volume. Does sound good just not WOW, but may be cause im using it into a an amp at low volume its 10;30 at night here.

Great layout from bean and great board from haberdasher (think thats right).

thanks guys, sands

ch1naski

Great to hear it's working.
I have one at the end of my (all self-made :) ) pedal chain, it breathes a bit of life back into the signal before it hits the amp. And can compensate for old dead strings, when I'm too lazy to change them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

23h2o

do you think a 500k volume pot would add some more volume to the circuit? thanks for the help by the way.

ch1naski

Quote from: 23h2o on March 04, 2013, 05:49:23 PMdo you think a 500k volume pot would add some more volume to the circuit? thanks for the help by the way.
I've noticed that it does not have a lot of volume, actually mine stays pretty close to unity gain.  I'm not sure about the volume pot, I don't have the build docs in front of me and can't remember the original value. I know that it will start to introduce saturation if the output gets too high.....
one louder.