News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Egodriver

Started by Carlos Barros, December 29, 2010, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlos Barros

Hi, someone can help me to mod my egodriver to put it more midrange to sound more like the Orange amp distorsion? Thanks for read and help!

Carlos Barros

And one more question, can i conect my Egodriver to 18V like the original one?

jkokura

A modification like that would be a little past what the OCD is for. Amp emulation circuits are entirely possible, and I'm pretty sure there are Orange Amp emulating pedals out there already. However, the OCD is a different kind of circuit.

Perhaps, if I might suggest, you could be more specific as to what kind of orange amp you're wanting the OCD to sound more like? As it is, I think the OCD is plenty midrange heavy as it is... Also, a build like the Chunk Chunk, which is meant to emulate a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier would help you out. There are lots of modifications that are possible with the Chunk Chunk that will get you closer to the sound you're looking for I think. Also, it has a full 4 band EQ build in that will help you dial in that midrange sound you're really looking for.

Yes, it's possible to build the egodriver to run on 18V. You MUST use parts that are rated for at least that much voltage - all your caps should be 25V or higher, as should your resistors be. If you're using any caps or resistors rated for 16V, you will have catastrophic failure if you try and run your pedal on 18V. Cool if you like destruction and potentially losing your eye, but not really helpful for making music.

jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Carlos Barros

Hi, thank you very much Jacob! i was doing some experiments and now i have what i want!

All my caps and transistors allright to run with 18V, and i have another question, the IC can be damage if i run it to 18V?

jkokura

You haven't told us what your IC is, so I can't tell you. The easiest way to tell is to look up the datasheet for the IC, and it should tell you what it's max operating voltage is. You want it to be at least a few volts higher than 18. Chances are it will be higher, but check and make sure. Exploding IC's are as bad as exploding caps.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Carlos Barros

I'm using the TL082, and the transistors are BS170

jkokura

Did you look it up?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Carlos Barros

I was looking the datasheet and the voltage in V cc (supply voltage) +/-18V, the V i (input voltage) +/-15V, and the V id (diffrencial input voltage) +/-30V, with this can i run it to 18V?

jkokura

The supply voltage is what you're looking for. You can run it, but I suggest you use a regulated supply, because if your power spikes you could experience a part failure. Not likely, but possible.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Carlos Barros

And i found the voltage for the BS170 it's VDSS 60V, VDGR 60V, and VGSS +/-20V

Carlos Barros

And if i use the NE5532 that have the Vcc +/-22V it's better?

jkokura

Better isn't the right word. That's a subjective idea. The right word is safer. It can handle higher voltage and is much less likely to blow.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Carlos Barros

Thank you very much Jacob, really apreciate your help! Greetings from Spain!