News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

She is Finally Finished

Started by fuzzymuff, March 26, 2013, 09:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzymuff

After a week of tweaking and swapping transistors, I finally found a transitor combo that got me the sound close to the original 1965 Tone Bender MK1.

A couple of recent videos I made:

My Clone:

Here is the original 1965 Sola Sound Tone Bender.

stecykmi

wow great looking clone! what was the transistor combo, if you don't mind sharing the secret mojo?

fuzzymuff

Quote from: stecykmi on March 26, 2013, 10:05:59 PM
wow great looking clone! what was the transistor combo, if you don't mind sharing the secret mojo?

Oops....I knew I forgot something..
The winning transistor combo were 2N404 for Q1, Chinese 5N10PC for Q2, and an AC128 for Q3.

Q1: 62hfe, 100uA; Q2:121 hfe, 168uA; Q3: 80hfe, 136uA

Source: -9.20

Attack@max

Q1:
C: -9.18
B: -0.54
E: -0.50

Q2:
C: -3.94
B: -0.14
E: 0.00

Q3:
C: -8.61
B: -0.02

Attack@min

Q1:
C: -9.19
B: -0.53
E: -0.49

Q2:
C: -9.09
B: -0.04
E: -0.00

Q3:
C: -8.67
B: -0.02

How do they look?

nzCdog

fuzzymuff

Thanks!!  I just ordered two bags of AC125s, hope these wll be enough to make more of these great fuzz pedals.

raulduke

Nice build.

MKI's are notoriously finnicky circuits, so congrats on building a beauty!

fendman

Excellent work, thanks for taking the time sharing it with everyone :)

jvg13

Nice - both the build and playing.

So far with the 60s fuzzes I've tried, I've found all but the 2 transistor early MK II/FF circuit that bit too thick and synth-like for my tastes.  But that MK I circuit certainly has a very distinctive sound.  Very cool to see/hear you achieved that without the super scarce mojo transistors of the originals.

Did you make the enclosure yourself?  It looks a nicer shape than the originals.

mgwhit

slimtriggers

Bangkok and Working Man, nice!

Great looking build and it sounds awesome!

Rip57

That's a great sound. Good job sorting through all those transistor combinations, but the final output has at least as much to do with your playing as it does your electronics.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but in the very least you need a beer." ― Frank Zappa

fuzzymuff

Quote from: jvg13 on March 27, 2013, 03:40:17 AM
Nice - both the build and playing.

So far with the 60s fuzzes I've tried, I've found all but the 2 transistor early MK II/FF circuit that bit too thick and synth-like for my tastes.  But that MK I circuit certainly has a very distinctive sound.  Very cool to see/hear you achieved that without the super scarce mojo transistors of the originals.

Did you make the enclosure yourself?  It looks a nicer shape than the originals.

Thanks!  The enclosure was purchased from Fry's Electronics and sells for $12.00 USD.  The quality and construction of this enclosure is the same as Electro Harmonx classic Big Muff or Small Stone Phaser. 

artstomp

..good video presentation, too fuzzymuff!....hey...may i ask what software did you use for that awesome presentation...nice build by the way!... ;)