News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Patsyface - Damn damnit damn damn DAMN!

Started by camsna, December 31, 2010, 02:47:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

So. I built the thing and...

No signal when engaged. Bypassed is fine, NOTHING when un-bypassed. No hiss no nada. But, the LED does light when it ought to...

I populated the board and see no obvious shorts (I'll post pics tomorrow). I wired it up using this diagram so as I could power it from a standard power supply:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/switch_lo_3pdt_tb_dcj_pnp_ft.gif?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

Then - it got worse. While I was poking around, wondering what went wrong, I shorted the TIP and RING of the input together. The LED went out and stopped working. The LED is fine and the limiting resistor is fine. (New LED does the same thing, old LED lights when hooked up to a battery)

Where do I start? What are the obvious things to look for? I saw no release of magic smoke and nothing looks like it has popped or burned.

...aw maaaaaaaan...

stevewire

Did you socket the transistors or solder them straight to the board?  You can easily destroy a transistor with the heat from a soldering iron.  If you are going to directly solder them you need to take a little extra precaution.

I know this may not be the problem with your build, but it's the first thing that springs to mind.

camsna

Didn't socket. COULD'VE socketed - but didn't. I have the sockets, but couldn't easily fit one of them, so I decided not to socket any of them...

poo...

Is there a way to test them, or should I just order another set?

Any other places to check?

stecykmi

do you have an audio probe? that's one of the best way to debug something like this.