News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SoulStomper (Fulltone Plimsoul Clone)

Started by Stomptown, April 19, 2013, 11:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Here is a Fulltone Plimsoul clone using a pcb I designed using the Soul Trane schematic that Brian generously shared in the extra projects forum. I finally found a trophy shop that does laser etching and I am pretty happy with the results. I think I will be a little more picky with font type next time but it looks great overall. There has been some mixed reviews on this circuit here on the forum but I think it sounds great.

I noticed that the BOM mistakenly calls for 1N914 for the D4/D5 clipping diodes instead of LED's and I'm wondering if that is why some have complained about issues with the circuit when gain and volume are towards max settings. I tried 1N914's and BAT 46's and had issues with them. They still sounded nice (especially the BAT 46's) but I got noise/oscillation in stage 2 with volume/gain approaching max. When I put 5mm red diffuse LED's in the noise went away! I have BAT 46's in there now, but I will most likely replace them once I get some 3mm LED's that will fit with my layout. I have also heard complaints about excessive gain but, although there is plenty of gain on tap, I think the pedal cleans up nicely. I tried the circuit with the suggested 100KA pots for volume and gain and also 50KA's (as others have suggested) and I did not think the 50KA's made much of a difference (if any). In the end, I went with the suggested 100KA's and I'm happy with them. I will try to get a demo up soon if anyone is interested...

Jon

chromesphere

Classy! Slick looking build man!  love it!
Do you mind if I ask if the laser etching was pricey?
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Stomptown

Quote from: chromesphere on April 20, 2013, 12:54:51 AM
Classy! Slick looking build man!  love it!
Do you mind if I ask if the laser etching was pricey?
Paul

It was pricey! I did 2 enclosures to bring the price down a bit. I am going to sell one of the builds so hopefully I can minimize the damage. It was $10 per enclosure plus $15 setup fee. I don't think I will be able to justify doing it again (unless i find a cheaper alternative) but after seeing all if pickdroppers work I just had to try it....

chromesphere

Ahhh, it would definitely be worthwhile for a run of pedals though!  Just under $12 an enclosure (and you don't have to waterslide YAY lol).
Looks pro man!  Well done!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

jprizz

Wow, great job. I really envy you guys with photography skills. And yes I'm interested in hearing a demo. :)

Stomptown

I guess I shouldn't troubleshoot when my daughter is sleeping! The squeeling noise is actually happening in stage 1 and 2 with LED's or any other diodes I've put in there; unless your amp is turned so low you can't notice it  ;). It isn;t isolated to stage 2 either; it's just more prominent. Using my DMM it looks like the noise occurs a little after 10K on the drive pot when volume is at max. There is still plenty of gain on tap even at 10K so I am going to build another up and try it with a B10K and some other combinations. I may also look into lowering the volume pot as it goes WAY above unity, which is unnecessary. Maybe if I put a 50K in for volume I can get up to a 25K for the drive pot. I still have to look into that...

jubal81

Beautiful job. Really nice PCB layout work, too!
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

seregik168

Sorry but there are no pcb files in the topic.
Please upload again.
Thank you.

stringsthings

All You Need Is Love

Stomptown

Quote from: seregik168 on April 09, 2018, 03:55:08 AM
Sorry but there are no pcb files in the topic.
Please upload again.
Thank you.

Sorry but the files for this were for my personal use only and are not available.