News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Adding a Low Pass to Rangemaster

Started by frankie5fingers, April 20, 2013, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankie5fingers

Don't know if anyone's felt the need to do it, but I've found most of the Rangemaster variants a little too trebley and loud (yes, I know, I know)
Anyway if anyone's thought the same thing. I think an active (with an IC) would probably do a little better of a job, but I added the LP from the Boneyard.  Easy to do, took the spike out, rounded the tone out a bit and left me a bit more range to crank it into a "sweeter" sweet spot.  Kind of the Miller Beer version of Clapton's After Midnight tone.
FWIW

soldersqueeze

"My treble booster is boosting too much treble..."

This is why I love DIY  ;D ;D

(Glad you found something you like, I'm not trying to be rude)

pietro_moog

take a look at the java boost schematic. the tone control is a low pass filter.

davent

An Easy Face tone control works well on the front of a Rangemaster on the breadboard, blends between two caps.

http://tinyurl.com/dxwgvc7
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

billstein

Quote from: soldersqueeze on April 25, 2013, 05:06:16 AM

This is why I love DIY  ;D ;D

Does sound contradictory but I understand what he is saying. I've built two, one with a toggle switch for more base and one with a tone control, still with my combination of guitars and amp I have not bean able to find that magic so many seem to have found with this pedal. It always seemed to bright for my tastes.

That is until two days ago. I discovered a KILLER combination. I put the RangeMaster in front of a recently built Big Muff (built to P19 specs. Thanks Juansolo!) and what a massive sound. The Big Muff is a bit dark and the RangeMaster a bit trebly, together magic! Add a touch of delay (the next pedal I'm building) and this will be a new "go to" combination for lead work.

I'm a happy boy. What a great hobby this is!

frankie5fingers

Quote from: soldersqueeze on April 25, 2013, 05:06:16 AM

This is why I love DIY  ;D ;D

(Glad you found something you like, I'm not trying to be rude)
Not rude.  Maybe you didn't really read the post, or maybe I didn't explain it well enough, which is why I love forums  ;D
My issues with the RMs - I've had a few, have always been the same two things;  I don't always get to dime a Tweed Deluxe or play a JTM 45 at stage volumes to allow the RM to do what it does best and thus, they can be harsh or spikey. I also typically find myself wanting to use that germanium boost on a little more than just the highest of the high end - without turning it into a run of the mill booster.

ch1naski

I've built quite a few, myself. Usually, yes a bit too harsh. But some of the variants out there ( IVIark's rotary cap switch version,  and the java boost) do have some sweet spots. But, I do think that this circuit is almost critically dependant on the guitar/amp combo.
The one issue I've had with them, is when trying to find as sweet spot with a tad less treble, it goes into nasal territory.

I haven't tried it, but the easy face tone control or the "tone control on a pot" at beavis' site may sound good. But at the expense of some signal/boost loss.
Or there is always a socket with an input cap.

I run mine with a Telefunken AF105 transistor, leaky and hfe of 130 . Hisses like crazy, but verges on overdrive and hits a sweet spot easily.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

frankie5fingers

I really like the Boneyard low pass but I think I'll build another and use the Easy Face Tone.  It seemed kinds silly to put a Tone on a treble boost but it sounds like some really like it - so why not, right?
On the other, I really like the Java also, great tone but noisy as hell.