Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bumblebee Build Problem

Started by Gremlin, April 29, 2013, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gremlin

Good Evening,
First post, first madbean build...
Completed the build and tried it out to find a horrible humming noise.  Pots had effect but nothing coming from the instrument.  I tried reversing transistors, no effect so I believe I had them in correctly the first time.....
Recommended troubleshooting procedures?
I appreciate your time.....
Scott

midwayfair

Blues Healer

I agree, hum = ground issue.

I'd probably check the jacks first, since they're the easiest to see the wiring on, but you are likely going to need some standard de-bugging.

LED wiring can also be source ... and double check the switch.
"music heals"

Gremlin

Thanks...  I've checked solder joints, components, etc....
I may be confused relative to positive ground.....  I installed negative side of battery to -9V on PCB...  Would that be correct?

midwayfair

Quote from: Gremlin on April 29, 2013, 12:07:18 PM
Thanks...  I've checked solder joints, components, etc....
I may be confused relative to positive ground.....  I installed negative side of battery to -9V on PCB...  Would that be correct?

yes, that's the correct way to hook it up.

Gremlin

The Bumblebee pdf shows wiring while using the Road Rage for power.  Maybe I'm missing a connection with the switch relative to DC power?  Is there a drawing out there for wiring without the Road Rage with respect to input/output jacks, battery, and the 3PDT switch?
Thanks...

madbean

Use this as a reference for wiring positive ground with battery only. Same exact hookup.

Gremlin

Excellent, thanks....  I've now got something coming out, good distorted/fuzz sound...
However, I still have a loud hum and there is no bypass when I throw the switch off.....
I've checked wiring on the switch and wiring to/from the switch...
Hum and no bypass with switch off....  That is now my dilemma...
Secondarily....  which caps might I switch to get lower end response as I am using this for a bass....
Thanks a bunch...

madbean

Are you testing the wiring outside of the enclosure? If so, you need to temporarily attach a ground wire to the sleeve of the output jack. This is not needed when everything is wired inside an enclosure, because the output sleeve is grounded via the enclosure itself.

To make it more palatable for bass, you could try the following:
C1 = 470n
C5  = 220n
C4 = 10n

Gremlin

It is outside of the box....  Ground from sleeve to ???
Might this cause the inability to get bypass with switch off?
I truly appreciate everyone's help...  It's been many years since I breathed in large doses of flux....
Once I get this rig up running, functional, and quiet when it's supposed to be, I will do some experimenting with cap values to favor lower end response....
Thanks....

jimilee

You should post some shots of your wiring,you should have bypass unless it wired backwards and it;s grounding out OR input to stomp switch needs to be reflowed.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gremlin

Will post some pics after work...

Gremlin

Flow and connections look correct.  Any ideas?

Pic attached.

jkokura

You haven't grounded the sleeve of the output jack. Connect that to ground.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Gremlin

Forgive my ignorance.  To what would I ground it?
Thanks