News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply Project

Started by aziltz, January 08, 2011, 05:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Hey 'Bean, here's an idea.

What about a multiple output, regulated power supply for our pedals?  Something that will generate 12v/18v, -9v and 5 or so 9v outputs.  I'd definitely buy a board or two for a project that fits in a 1590BB and kicks out some series mA's!

I'd love to have an isolated PS, basically a workalike of the Pedal Power 2, but that requires finding a nice toroidal transformer to take advantage of.

madbean

Okay, yeah. I have a basic one drawn up that would be able to 9, 12, 15 or 18 on any output depending on how you populate it. But, it doesn't use a transformer. Rather my idea was to use a 24v/1000mA supply and just break down the voltages with regulators. Neg. voltage could be done with a charge pump.

I've never put it together, though. I'll pull it out and have another look at it.

aziltz

that would work great.  transformer isolated has its uses and benefits, but its not the end all.  separate regulated outputs is all I'm really asking for.  If this was to become a fabbed project I would be interested in a couple.  Not sure how much interest you need before it gets to that point.

madbean

Well, the design is fitted for a 1590B as a single sided with mounts. It would be easy enough to make. This is as far as I got with it. PCB is 2.8" x 1.3".

[attachment deleted by admin]

aziltz

here's some info on multitap transformers.

http://geofex.com/Article_Folders/Spyder/spyder.htm

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/magnetic.htm  (at bottom of page, non-toroidal multi-secondary designed for pedalboard supplies)

stevewire

If this became one of the project PCBs I would be into it.

aziltz

I'm thinking about making a board to go with the Weber transformer for isolated & regulated outputs.

princeton

Quote from: madbean on January 08, 2011, 07:09:09 AM
Okay, yeah. I have a basic one drawn up that would be able to 9, 12, 15 or 18 on any output depending on how you populate it. But, it doesn't use a transformer. Rather my idea was to use a 24v/1000mA supply and just break down the voltages with regulators. Neg. voltage could be done with a charge pump.

I've never put it together, though. I'll pull it out and have another look at it.

Is it possible to convert a PC PSU to serve as pedal board supply?

talentado

hi sir bean,

can i request?

i like to build a 1spot adaptor 9v 1mA to power my 7 pedals.

can you please give me a schematic layout and component that i will use?

thanks in advance!  :)

igore42

I'd be interested as well if the cost was enticing!  What do you think the approximate cost would be?

Haberdasher

I would buy a board for this and build one too.  Great idea.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

k.rock!

QuoteI would buy a board for this and build one too.  Great idea.

+1
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

bigmufffuzzwizz

Sounds like a great idea!! It would be amazing if this pedal had 4 outputs, 9v-12v-15v-18v depending on the need. Is that a possibility?
...but that might make it a lot more complicated
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

morelius21

I have very interest about this project!!

Nice

Morelius

gtr2

There are a lot of random power supply projects out there, but it would be nice to have one right here at "home"

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer