News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply Project

Started by aziltz, January 08, 2011, 05:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

Why does it go deafiningly silent every time I post in this thread.  ???
Not too bright....

irmcdermott

You can't etch a board based on what Brian posted. He gave the schematic and the overlay picture of the board, not the transfer image. One could take the schematic and come up with a layout for it though.

redbean

I'd like to build a Madbean power supply project. :)
es là-bas!!

pandadandan

For an isolated power supply, you need transformers.  Either one with multiple taps or multiple small iso transformers.

gtr2

This is what I'm looking into...  Only one transformer needed, instead of 1 transformer per 2 isolated outlets.  Then just connect the bridge rectifiers, voltage regulators, and filtering caps for each outlet.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/magnetic.htm

WPDLXFMR-1

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

pandadandan

Quote from: gtr2 on June 06, 2011, 01:29:53 PM
This is what I'm looking into...  Only one transformer needed, instead of 1 transformer per 2 isolated outlets.  Then just connect the bridge rectifiers, voltage regulators, and filtering caps for each outlet.

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/magnetic.htm

WPDLXFMR-1

Josh

Yeah that's a multiple-tap transformer.  You hook it to the mains AC, then all you have to do is rectify the taps to convert from AC to DC.

aziltz

I might pursue a fabricated PCB to mate with that Weber transformer.  Thoughts?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Have any of you tried the Medusa Power Supply? Looks fairly simple and doesn't require a transformer. Instead its set up for SMD voltage regulators. Here's a picture of the top
http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimages/TPCMedusa03.jpg
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jstbrowsin

Yup that's the exact one I built with a 18V laptop supply for power. I used normal 7809, 7812 regulators. Works like a charm and quiet as although I did add another large capacitor (2200 µF) on input for extra filtering. Seems to work fine I made my board with two 9V and two 12V outputs, just cut the board down to suit my needs.  :)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Comfort Player

Silence..... I Keeeeeel youuuuuu....

LudfisterSound

I'd love to see a PCB for the Weber transformer, I have one of these waiting around to be used.

rjkanejr

I second that.  My pedal board has grown in size from one pedal to 10 over the past year and I need a clean power supply rather that my OneSpot but don;t want to pay the money for a Voodoo or the like when I know I can spend way less and have more fun making it.  Give us a Clean Pedal Power project!  ;-)

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jstbrowsin on July 21, 2011, 09:18:54 AM
Yup that's the exact one I built with a 18V laptop supply for power. I used normal 7809, 7812 regulators. Works like a charm and quiet as although I did add another large capacitor (2200 µF) on input for extra filtering. Seems to work fine I made my board with two 9V and two 12V outputs, just cut the board down to suit my needs.  :)

That's what he used to power his though he mentions you can any power supply. Preferably something that provides a higher input voltage will be better for filtering lower to 9volts (if that's what your looking for). I'll probably just include a Road Rage board and make the enclosure bigger.

Quote from: gtr2 on July 21, 2011, 12:28:48 PM
BMFW your link is broken.

If you haven't checked that site out yet do so now! He has a 9v electric mistress project which now that I now how to etch became a lot more do-able.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

nzCdog

http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=48084.20
This is a cool application for the Weber tranny I had my eye on a while ago... guy built it using vero...

The only downside of the Weber transformer is that its pretty overkill for most pedal boards IMO.  I have had 10 pedals daisy chaining off my regulated Boss PSU no problem, so the need for so many isolated 9V outputs is a tad questionable IMO...

Personally I prefer Madbeans idea of having a lot of regulators in action from one 24V source... which you could easily build into a metal housing with IEC input