News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power Supply Project

Started by aziltz, January 08, 2011, 05:29:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

I plan to do a PCB for this, but I need to get my feet wet with a big order of something simple first.  I hope to get into this one by the fall though, its simple you know?

aziltz

Hey All,

I'm working up a fabricated PCB project to mate with this Weber transformer, https://taweber.powweb.com/store/pdlxfmr.gif

it has 8x 11V AC Secondaries @ 300 mA each (would give 13V DC rectified I think).  Plus an additional secondary set for 12V AC @ 2A.  (Could e used for a high current DC output or AC outlet.

I'm trying to figure out what combination of fixed and adjustable "power channels" a good project would have.  I'm looking at using DIP package Rectifiers, and the standard regulators 78**/79** and LM317.

I believe the 78/79 series all have the same foot print so the user could just select which regulator they want for +/- 9/12 V outputs.  But they make these adjustable 317s for the dying battery effect.

Any interest in the 317s?  it adds a few more parts, including trimmers.  I could also make something that would switch voltages internally via DIP switches, but I'd like to keep it simple.

So, let me know what you think, and if there's anything I've overlooked.  I'd like to get this ready and prototype it while waiting for the Buffer PCBs to arrive.

[attachment deleted by admin]

aziltz

Here's my current thoughts on the project.  I want to make it super versatile, such that if the builder wants 8x 9/12V outputs at 300mA each, they can have that, or if they want 18/24V without jumping outputs, we can do that by stacking 2 secondaries.  I also want the option to add additional regulated/filtered outputs to each transformer channel, so you could imagine 3 "Isolated Banks" of 2-3 regulated outputs each (un-isolated within the bank, 300mA total).

In a nutshell,
Every Output is separately Filtered/Regulated
Each Bank/Channel is Isolated from the others
Use as many outputs per Channel as you want/need within the current limit

Isolated Channel Options (A-H), 300mA per Channel unless otherwise stated

A - 1-3x 9/12V Outputs
B - 1-3x 9/12V Outputs
C - 1-3x 9/12V Outputs
D - 1 9/12V Output or 1-3x 18/24V Outputs (300mA Total)
E - 1 9/12V Output or 1 Super High Current 9/12V Output (600mA)
F - 1 9/12V Output and/or Adjustable Voltage/Sag Output
G - 1 9/12V Output
H - 1 9/12V Output

*Alternate D & E options require 2 Transformer Secondaries, and would eliminate Channels G & H

I've kinda struggled with how to present this, but the project should be able to cover any thing you need it to.

Thoughts?

Haberdasher

I'm getting one once you finish it.  That's all I know.  :)
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

aziltz

Could someone who has one of the Weber Transformers already let me know what size are the wire leads on the secondaries?

bigmufffuzzwizz

I wish I understand what your saying, but I too want one when finished! When you say 1-3 outputs for channels A-D is this similar to a daisy chain?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

aziltz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on August 08, 2011, 03:12:18 AM
I wish I understand what your saying, but I too want one when finished! When you say 1-3 outputs for channels A-D is this similar to a daisy chain?

YES! that's the term I was searching for.  I'm talking about "daisy chaining" off of the 8 isolated outputs.  There's more than enough current there, and the daisy chained outputs can be separately filtered/regulated.

bigmufffuzzwizz

That sounds really useful. If I could daisy chain the sagged voltage to my wah and muff...that would be TITS. So this box would supply up to 15/16 pedals? Unless you put 5+ on each daisy chain. How close is this to being finished/released?

aziltz

It's still in the outline phase, but I have the parts picked already.  It's simple that it will probably take me a week to generate the PCB design.  I am going to wait until after the buffer boards come in before placing any more orders.  So probably mid september at the earliest.  I don't want to rush this project because it is a bit dangerous with regards to the transformer and mains wiring.

You can put as many daisy chained outputs in as you want (within the current limits).  I'm just deciding how many regulators there will be on board.  The idea is that the builder populates it to what fits their needs.  I will also make an enclosure recommendation as well as a fuse/fuse holder and wall plug.

jkokura

An enclosure that matches the VooDoo Lab units would be nice. I think it could be quite handy to drop this under a Pedaltrain.

As to the specs Austin, this looks very promising. Perhaps this is one of the biggest holes in DIY.
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Definitely count me in for at least one!  :)

gtr2

Quote from: jkokura on August 08, 2011, 04:02:31 AM

As to the specs Austin, this looks very promising. Perhaps this is one of the biggest holes in DIY.

I agree.  One thing that kept me from the Weber transformer was the size.  I saw some build ups on the net and it was to big to fit under a PT once it was in an enclosure.  Hopefully with what you have planned it would be possible!  Keep up the good work!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aziltz

i think its doable.  Depending on the PCB size and the Transformer mounting, we probably will need to go taller or wider than the pedal power.  I will try to figure out both options, because wider should fit under the PT's.  Remember though, we'll need room for all those jacks as well!  I almost think going taller in something like the Tim enclosure would save more space, but I don't know if it would fit underneath.

Willybomb

Hey, if someone wants to help me out, I need a PS that has a bunch of 9vDC outputs (or one, I'm happy to daisy chain as my 1-spot is currently supplying all 6-7 9v pedals quite nicely) AND a 16vAC output for my HT-Dual...  Great pedal, stupid power requirements.

Currently I have a a 1-spot and a blackstar PS on a 4-way adapter board underneath my pedalboard.  I'd rather a neater solution that runs directly off mains with an IEC cord.

jkokura

Wider = fine. Taller not so much.

Sourcing the enclosure we want is something we can all do. Anyone know where an enclosure about the right size might be located?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals