News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nautilus -- FX loop

Started by alanp, May 04, 2013, 10:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

Is it worth trying to shoehorn an effects loop into a Nautilus, where R4 goes? The Meatball has one there, with some component changes (a 10uF capacitor, from memory.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on May 04, 2013, 10:41:52 PM
Is it worth trying to shoehorn an effects loop into a Nautilus, where R4 goes? The Meatball has one there, with some component changes (a 10uF capacitor, from memory.)

You'll get a Q-tron+.

Therefore, I'd say "yes" as long as you factor in the extra jacks on the enclosure. :)

idy

I am experimenting with the same thing, an effects loop in the Naughty Fish. Its still R4...
Any thoughts about additional components and how to switch this? I have tried the breadboard it seems like its better to keep R4 at the output (send) side, and that its good to have some kind of "pad" or trimmer on the way in. Too much gain on the fuzz in the loop causes oscillation (whistling) and the pot helps with this. I have not had to add in/out capacitors. The MeatSphere has one after, on the return side (10uf).

Is the place for a buffer or anything? Why a cap on the way back but none on the way out?

thesameage

idy

Just to clarify: the effects loop is a great idea and works well. It is a super handy mod in an envelope filter circuit. The question is what is the ideal impedance/level situation?

As to jacks, I am using a BB tall box so I can fit the four jacks on the "north" side of the box.

alanp

Gave up on the idea and built a Lovetone Meatball clone. Even with all the knobs, I found it more usable than the Nautilus, and the FX loop is stock.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Philthy

Apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has since successfully implemented an effects loop in either a nuatilus or a naughty fish?

thesameage

I love my nautilus and would love an fx loop.

Philthy

Just getting back to this as I'm about to start my Naughty Fish...

In looking at the schematic for the Meatsphere and McMeat (attached) there appears to be no buffer in their respective effects loops. Just switchable, presumably isolated, jacks, and some electros to stop DC.

Would something like this work in the NF?

zombie_rock123

I'm looking at adding the Fx loop to my Naughty Fish too. Forgive the dumb question but why would the jacks have to the switched and not just normal mono ones? I can't work out if there's a reason behind needing to ground the return if it's unused in Philthy's diagram, or connect pin 3 and 1 of IC1 if I'm understanding the Meatsphere schematic right ???
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

alanp

The Return switching TIP contact should go to the TIP of the Send jack, not ground.

This ensures that if there is nothing in the loop jacks, then the signal just gets passed through.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

zombie_rock123

Thanks for clarifying that Alan, I'll try it out on my breadboard to see if I like its looping ways :)

(Not doubting you're right of course but I still don't understand why it would need to pass signal through though, if there's no connection from pin 3 - 1 of IC1 without the mod, why does it need to pass the signal through if there's nowt in the loop with the mod?)
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

alanp

Whoops, just checked the PDF.

On the Naughty Fish, R4 is where you want to insert the FX loop. I'd missed this due to working on the Meatball too many times...
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Philthy

Thanks
So should we leave R4 in place and put in what I've sketched above at the nodes either side of it?

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website