News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

SLOPPY - The Stupidly Large Oversized Pedal Power SupplY

Started by Willybomb, May 21, 2013, 08:39:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Finally finished my pedal power supply project.  It has 8 x 9vDC outputs (2amps) for all my regular stomps and a 20vAC output (1amp) for my Blackstar pedal.

Originally it didn't work even though the rocker was lighting up, so I put it aside and came back to it today after searching the web and finding that I'd wired the rocker wrong (the lamp lights off the 3rd prong, the rest of the circuit goes off the center lug - I'd wired everything off the 3rd lug).

Anyway, it looks like crap now after having put it away for 3 months or so (paint was too soft), and the jiffy enclosure is really too light for what's inside (probably 3 pounds of copper and magnets all told) and none of the jacks are flush so I will re-house it one day if I can be bothered.  In the meantime it will get mounted on my pedalboard. 

Regardless, behold, the S.L.O.P.P.Y!

selfdestroyer

Great name.. looks like that was a fun build. I have yet to make a power supply.. one day.. one day.

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

rullywowr

Cool build. Looks like you can do some welding with that rig!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

nzCdog

That's a great build man... I especially love the name!   8)
Don't feel too bad, I've seen plenty bigger, yours is still verypedalboard friendly!

Willybomb

The size is fine, but ultimately determined by the two big arsed trannys in there.  It's probably a little wider than 2 boss pedals side by side, and a bit higher.  I'd like to make a cleaner enclosure though...

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Willybomb

No, it's a plastic Jiffy box.  I'll get the dimensions up shortly, but it was the cheapest thing in Jaycar that was tall enough for the transformer(s) (1 amp, multiple voltage taps) that I ended up using. 

Bit of a funny story about why it has 3 trannys:  I brought one with the intention of rrunning 20v and 12v off it at the same time and doing the current job, but for whatever reason that didnt work, so I grabbed another one to do 20v only.  THEN, I found an 240v->20vAC wall wart at the local flea market that I grabbed for $7 promptly butchered open with a screwdriver and a hobby knife.  At that point I figured I might as well run two regulated 9vDV circuits and have a dedicated 20vAC tranny....

TNblueshawk

John

jimilee

Quote from: Willybomb on May 22, 2013, 07:31:30 AM
No, it's a plastic Jiffy box.  I'll get the dimensions up shortly, but it was the cheapest thing in Jaycar that was tall enough for the transformer(s) (1 amp, multiple voltage taps) that I ended up using. 

Bit of a funny story about why it has 3 trannys:  I brought one with the intention of rrunning 20v and 12v off it at the same time and doing the current job, but for whatever reason that didnt work, so I grabbed another one to do 20v only.  THEN, I found an 240v->20vAC wall wart at the local flea market that I grabbed for $7 promptly butchered open with a screwdriver and a hobby knife.  At that point I figured I might as well run two regulated 9vDV circuits and have a dedicated 20vAC tranny....
Ohhhhhh ok you said that in the post earlier, I didn't put it all togetehr, sorry about that. What's a jiffy box?

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb