News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious. What do you do for a living?

Started by das234, June 16, 2013, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

So many interesting occupations, it really opens my eyes to the wide range of people that this "hobby" draws in.

I was a foreman for a refinery maintenance company, and also did electronic security (electric fences, thermal cameras)  for a small company at Exxon Mobil. Not the most interesting job, or the cleanest. I sometimes couldn't get "product" off my hands for weeks.

Now, I'm pondering what new direction to take with my life. Bad time, economically, for such decisions.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
one louder.

drezdn

pk1802

I went to school to become an Electrical Engineer, but dropped out to go to school to become a Minister. Currently, I'm a Youth Pastor.

nieradka

Staff/Studio manager in the art department at a small university. Mostly I fix things and maintain the equipment, and provide technical support to the students.

Guitafuzz

hi i am chemical engineer and I work as a piping design engineer for a company that manufactures drilling pipes, sometimes it's fun design in autocad but sitting all day at the computer I have become a sedentary person. And on the weekends I am part of the worship team at my church as music director.

G.G.

I work for Nintendo as a 3D character artist. My department makes characters for the games, sort of like making sculpture on the computer.

selfdestroyer

Network administrator and project manager for a retirement community. Been the best 7 years of my working career so far. Very rewarding.

Vallhagen

Nice thread. Getting a little closer to you all:)

I'm an EMC test engineer on aircraft. Just recently got back to the engineering field after a ten year "break" which i spent as school teacher in math, music and physics.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

das234

Quote from: alanp on June 17, 2013, 08:42:00 AM
No job is crap!

If the cleaners stop cleaning, what happens? The managers and workers drown in their own rubbish!

If the waste treatment stop working, we drown in our own excrement.

Sounds to me like you're a high flyer  ;)

+1 to that! 

das234

Quote from: culturejam on June 17, 2013, 12:38:47 PM
Quote from: Dc10 on June 17, 2013, 04:18:59 AM
Watchmaker

No shit?! That's the coolest job so far.  :)

I got the watch bug last year. Picked up a range of relatively cheap automatics (and one really nice TAG that I got as a "gift" for winning a company award).

I also picked up some cheap watch tools for minor adjustments. I also got ballsy and got a hand press and puller, but I've not yet fully manned up and pulled apart a working watch.  ;D

That one struck me too.  just "watchmaker".  I wasn't sure there still were professional watchmakers in the world.  My Timex was probably made on a Tuesday by some asian kid who sews beanie babies on Mondays and unmolds plastic frisbees on Wednesday.

das234

Quote from: jighead81 on June 17, 2013, 12:46:19 PM
Electrical Equipment Repairer for the Dept of Defense.  I pretty much build and solder weapon systems for the Air Force as a civilian. It's pretty boring most of the time, but I get to see some badass aircraft come through
and you're probably a really good solderer!

das234

Quote from: G.G. on June 17, 2013, 04:33:25 PM
I work for Nintendo as a 3D character artist. My department makes characters for the games, sort of like making sculpture on the computer.

Aw, come on!  That's awesome.  Did you make my Mii?

G.G.

Quote from: das234 on June 17, 2013, 05:36:48 PM
Quote from: G.G. on June 17, 2013, 04:33:25 PM

Aw, come on!  That's awesome.  Did you make my Mii?

Haha! No, you made your Mii! ;-)  Actually I'm working on the new Donkey Kong game that's coming out.

RobA

Quote from: G.G. on June 17, 2013, 05:50:41 PM
Haha! No, you made your Mii! ;-)  Actually I'm working on the new Donkey Kong game that's coming out.

My son's going to love this one when I tell him. He wants to grow up to be a game designer.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

juansolo

I've spent the last year chilling out building pedals. I'd have liked to have also done a lot more track driving but a broken car as put that back somewhat. Indeed I've just got back from a semi-successful test day with it and I realised just how much I enjoy driving quickly is circles in cars that are really a little too small for me...

I will have to work again, certainly. But I won't be going back to IT.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk