News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious. What do you do for a living?

Started by das234, June 16, 2013, 11:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pietro_moog

i am working on a economics phd. it's almost a year i'm in, and i hate it. so much already.
i wish the job market was better, but unfortunately it's bad. so i'm here, but i'm definitely not happy.
it could become a good job one day, i don't know.

hoodoo

murdog47

billstein

lincolnic

I'm a recording engineer, and it's awesome.

I also have a gig mixing broadcast stuff for a tiny TV station (all interviews), and it's significantly less awesome. I don't expect to still be there by the end of the year.

dodgechargerfan

jubal81

Quote from: pietro_moog on June 17, 2013, 02:17:45 AM
i am working on a economics phd. it's almost a year i'm in, and i hate it. so much already.
i wish the job market was better, but unfortunately it's bad. so i'm here, but i'm definitely not happy.
it could become a good job one day, i don't know.

My best friend is in the same boat. He's been working on his dissertation for Economics for 2 years and sending out hundreds of resumes without a bite.

Me? I'm a newspaper editor. Edit stories, write headlines, manage the website and do a lot of design work. Going back to school, too. Calculus exam in the morning.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Mike B.

Matt

Matt

slacker775

Computer security consulting.  Mainly network architecture/engineering type stuff.

Guitarmageddon

Quote from: hoodoo on June 17, 2013, 02:18:00 AM
Firefighter
Me too, though it's more often rescue and HAZMAT work.
I'm a musician first, of course, as well as CEO of codtone. ;D
Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

das234

Quote from: irmcdermott on June 16, 2013, 11:59:12 PM
I'm a Project Manager for an audiovisual company. Our focus is on corporate events. Keeps me busy on the road. I'm away from my family anywhere from 8 to 14 days a month, which is down from 10 to 20, having our son really has been a reason to cut down. But I consider myself blessed because it provides for my family and I enjoy what I do. Currently sitting in Monterey working, while I'd rather be with my family on Father's Day, this isn't a bad place to be either :)

Ian
I can relate to those whose jobs are dangerous or take them away from family.  I work as a fire lieutenant and teach fire science at the technical college.  I spend 24 hours away from my family at a time, including weekends and holidays sometimes (like father's day).  Oh, and the only music job I have is an occasional gig playing the bagpipes.

derevaun

I'm a part time, adjunct college instructor (music, media, & art) at the college where my wife is fulltime & tenured. It's steady evening work, in an inverted Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf sort of way. I don't see hardcore academia as a career anymore, but I love the challenge of teaching people my age.

Mostly, though, I parent. My youngest just turned five; I've spent the last ten years, day in day out, in the world of a toddler  :)

RobA

Programmer. I've worked on bunches of different types of systems in lots of different settings, but the last ten years or so have mainly been science and audio related.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Stig

At the moment im a phoner/designer/communication consultant in a small company.
I am a multimedia designer and have a bachelors degree in concept development.
It's just so hard to find a job within my education atm. In time I will find a more interesting job that fits my education more.