News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just another Dirtbag!

Started by wolfingsworth, January 15, 2013, 10:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfingsworth

I finally got this thing boxed up and I am very proud of it! Huge thanks to MysticWhiskey for sharing his artwork, mjcyates for sharing his Mouser BOM, and The Bean for such a great project! I used a laser engraver for the graphics. Seeing as I am using Smallbear MN3005 fakes, I plan on doubling them up for the right amount of delay so I still have a bit of messing around to do before I can call this project complete. I used the extra tall 1590bb from Mammoth so I would have enough room for the extra boards once the double delay is operational.

*****EDIT****

Double Delay is Operational! At first I used a layout from FSB but either the layout wasn't right for the circuit, or I screwed something up. It's no surprise that Brians layout for the Aquaboy 2012 project was much better suited for the Dirtbag!

This is just to Illustrate how much room is in this enclosure! This is the Third layer of PCB and there is room to spare! Road rage is 3m taped to the enclosure, Dirtbag is mounted with the pots, and Double Delay is nicely wedged between the walls on top of everything with room to spare. The new wiring is a bit messy, but I can access all of the trimpots, and after trying to keep 16 24 gauge wires in those sockets, I wasn't going to mess with it after it worked! Thanks to Lacesensor, Scruffie, Madbean and everyone else who gave advice with this add on!

mjcyates

Haberdasher

That looks fab dude.  Should be a fun challenge to cram more chips in there!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Dude, that looks exactly like mine (except for the knobs).  I laser engraved mine with the same artwork.

Obviously, I think you have good taste.  :-)
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wolfingsworth

Quote from: pickdropper on January 15, 2013, 11:30:01 PM
Dude, that looks exactly like mine (except for the knobs).  I laser engraved mine with the same artwork.

I know, that's where I got the idea  ;D I will definitely use the engraver for future builds!

pickdropper

Quote from: wolfingsworth on January 16, 2013, 01:09:13 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on January 15, 2013, 11:30:01 PM

I know, that's where I got the idea  ;D I will definitely use the engraver for future builds!

Careful, it's addictive.  :-)
Function f(x)

midwayfair

Beautiful job inside and out.

Chinchen

Ok, great job. Gotta know, where does one come across a lazer engraver??

jimilee

That's a lot of stuff on that board.and evn more stuff off e board,that's crazy.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jeffaroo

Not enough germaniums in this world to complete my wish list !

wolfingsworth

Quote from: Chinchen on January 16, 2013, 04:14:40 AM
Ok, great job. Gotta know, where does one come across a lazer engraver??

I am lucky enough to have a brother in law who has one at his business and I'm pretty sure pickdropper has one at his work, but I have heard of people having luck finding the service at trophy shops.

pickdropper

Yep, I have access to one at work, but I am branching out to trophy shops because I don't want to use the one at work too much.
Function f(x)

jeffaroo

my trophy shop is a a-hole. he told me $50.00 min with a $75.00 set up fee.

pickdropper

Yeah, skip that one.  Should be less than $10 for a normal size enclosure.

But it probably does depend on whether or not they need to do any setup.  I set everything up as an .AI file with an etching layer and a registration layer for quicker alignment on the laser bed.  If they have to dial it in for you, I suspect they will charge you for it.

Also, remember to outline the fonts in case the one you use isn't installed on their machine.  I also convert all artwork to vector to avoid pixelation, but that is not necessarily a hard and fast rule.
Function f(x)

jeffaroo

i had mine all ready to go on a disk. he had a big chip on his sholder. he even told me "these machines dont grow on trees, costs mony to maintain them"