News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Do yourself a favor kid... Build a Madbean Moar

Started by matmosphere, November 17, 2021, 04:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Bought this one because I like a good Rat and the Timmy but mostly because of Brian's hilarious ad copy in the build doc

"The Moar is a friggin' killer sounding overdrive. Its gonna take yer wiggly-wahs and yer tappity-taps and make 'em sound like Eddie Van Failin' and Jimmy LePage spent a night feeding in some Weird Science sh%t into a super computer and out came the most bad-a$$ overdrive evar known...Moar. The Moar uses ideas from the Timmy and the Rat and turns them into a sort of...Rimmy. Or Trat."

Wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do. Sounds FANTASTIC and it was a super easy build.

So here's the deal, I made an impromptu short video of how good it sounds. It is of a song I just figured out the other night (tappey-taps start around the 30 second mark, beware the sock-toe). The Moar nails the sound on the record. I am not a player who ever taps, so please forgive the sloppiness. My kids were also making noise in the background.

First person to post the name of the song get a Moar board (I'll pay Brian for it and have him ship it to you) so the toanz can rain down from their rig.

It is probably a pretty obscure song, I doubt I'd know it if my old band hadn't played a couple of shows with these guys back in the day, so I will give out a couple of hints over the next couple of days until someone gets it.

Another 3d printed faceplate on this one. It looks better than the picture makes it look. I called it the Tim Rat, cause I couldn't quite bring myself to write Trat or Rimmy on there even though I really wanted to.

madbean

Haha, you say this literally one day after I discontinued the board! Glad you like it. I do plan on doing a 1590B version which is why I decided to nix the 1590G version. Maybe that could be a giveaway at some point.

matmosphere

Quote from: madbean on November 17, 2021, 04:42:09 PM
Haha, you say this literally one day after I discontinued the board! Glad you like it. I do plan on doing a 1590B version which is why I decided to nix the 1590G version. Maybe that could be a giveaway at some point.

Ah, oops. Well if there is any left put one aside please. If not.. I'll figure something out.

And I must say, a 1590B version would be great too.

madbean

Quote from: matmosphere on November 17, 2021, 04:58:34 PM
Quote from: madbean on November 17, 2021, 04:42:09 PM

Ah, oops. Well if there is any left put one aside please. If not.. I'll figure something out.

And I must say, a 1590B version would be great too.

I have a couple left.

Bio77

I'm a big fan of the Moar.  I never thought about the Timmy and Rat connection before, I have to read the docs again. 

I built mine in a 1590B, too.  I think a redesign to that layout would be a great idea. 

EBK

I'm always a fan of something that sounds good and has no unobtainium parts.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

Okey doke, 1590B version with an added bass control. So, pretty close to a Timmy now but not a clone either.

jimilee

Even Moar, nice. The next one after that could be, "Yet even moar, but not so much as to overwhelm'"
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

matmosphere

Hint time, since it's probably a pretty obscure band unless you were playing or going to a lot of shows in the early aughts.

The record was released in 2002 on a label called The Self Starter Foundation.

vizcities

Haha, I'm stumped, and I was definitely into that scene ca. 2002. Sounds like it could be We Ragazzi? I usually think of them as dancier, but the Les Savy Fav-ish chords at the beginning of your demo were up their alley, & they played about a million shows around that time. My original guess was the Detachment Kit, but I guess they didn't release anything that year...

P.S. Visiting the SSF site was a blast from the past. Lifter Puller! Palomar! The whole Frenchkiss contingent!

matmosphere

Quote from: vizcities on November 18, 2021, 06:26:38 PM
Haha, I'm stumped, and I was definitely into that scene ca. 2002. Sounds like it could be We Ragazzi? I usually think of them as dancier, but the Les Savy Fav-ish chords at the beginning of your demo were up their alley, & they played about a million shows around that time. My original guess was the Detachment Kit, but I guess they didn't release anything that year...

P.S. Visiting the SSF site was a blast from the past. Lifter Puller! Palomar! The whole Frenchkiss contingent!

Yeah, some really good stuff on there, I still listen to Les Savy Fav all the time. Still think it's bizarre that they make up half of Seth Meyer's house band.

I haven't listened to any We Ragazzi in years, sounds like I have some homework tonight!

BTW, Detachment Kit totally did release a record in '02. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them from the running...

vizcities

OK, glad to hear my initial impulse was correct. Is it "Sitting Still Talking About Jets"?

matmosphere

Indeed!! We have a winner PM me and I'll sort things with Brian.

Everyone else, if you have a moment treat your ears, it's a cool song

EBK

Wow!  I see what you mean when you say the Moar nails the sound on the record, especially for those tappy bits. 
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber