News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Any coders or developers out there?

Started by thesameage, January 06, 2015, 02:09:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

Quote from: thesameage on January 07, 2015, 03:17:29 PM
What do you think about looking into developing front end developer skills vs backend?

That's a bit of a difficult question to answer -- it depends a lot on you and your interests. If I had to guess, but this is biased by where I live, the majority of the jobs are in the middleware layers. The systems that connect the front end web and network applications to the backend DB, GIS, etc. systems. But, overall I think there are plenty of jobs out there in all areas. There's tons of work in DB and information systems too. Every hospital and local government entity has multiple people hired in that area. Manufacturing and industry also has tons of people working in information systems.

Which is the most satisfying from a problem solving prospect depends a lot on what you enjoy. I tend to like the algorithm development and optimization side of things. Other people love UI development. If you work in a small environment, you are likely going to get to do a bit of all of it and that's where the most fun is. But, it also mean you probably get to try to find a new job every two years or so because that's about how long those companies survive.

I guess the main thing is to just get started learning. I do agree that even if you don't end up using it for work, knowing how to program is a very good thing. I look at it as a form of literacy for the modern age.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gjcamann

I've been a C programmer for 15 years, and I can tell you - you will hit a ceiling doing this too!!!

If you're already into web content and delivery, I suggest you go high level and learn more about what you already use. Like php and ruby, or whatever is the latest a greatest flavor - it's way more marketable. Once you're a cool kid with you php or whatever, it's easy to stay cool, because you just keep learning the new stuff - like everyone else in your field. C is so old and cumbersome and tied to hardware you almost only use it in embedded software - think arduino. It's not used to run the Cloud or serve massive web sites. And it's pretty hard to learn - it just has a ton of gotchas, compared to Java or newer stuff. See what they use where you work, and then see what's in demand for your area via Monster. Then choose a language. And if you must go nuts and bolts, skip C and go straight to Java - at least then you can make a cool Android App off the bat. Spend a month with a $50 beginner book on said language and see if you like programming before you take the jump. Also, If I could do it again, I would become a garbage man - paid weekends and a pension!

mremic01

Personally, C is the stuff I wanted to get into. But so much is geared towards web development, I wound up with Javascript, PHP, and Ruby on Rails. Now I'm in a networking program, and they have use taking Powershell and Python. A few years ago, it was Pearl that they'd make the networking and hardware guys take to get a taste of programming.

So many languages are descendants of C that you already have the gist of things without worrying about the more complicated stuff. Kind of like starting your first build with a fabbed PCB vs getting into making your own layout and etching it before you've even soldered your first joint. We have the luxury of working up to that.

RobA

Quote from: mremic01 on January 07, 2015, 08:57:26 PM
Personally, C is the stuff I wanted to get into. But so much is geared towards web development, I wound up with Javascript, PHP, and Ruby on Rails. Now I'm in a networking program, and they have use taking Powershell and Python. A few years ago, it was Pearl that they'd make the networking and hardware guys take to get a taste of programming.
[...]
I hate programming in Perl. The only thing worse is trying to maintain someone else's Perl code. I've had to do it for a couple of jobs and I hope it's something I never have to do again. On the flip side, Python is my favorite utility language and is my choice for any quick job and most things I do on the backend of client-server systems.  And, as another prod in the direction of C, if you are going to extend Python, you are going to do it in C. (Same thing is true of Java by-the-way, if you need performance from Java, then you've got to go to JNI and use C.)
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

mattc

Quote from: angrykoko on January 06, 2015, 09:10:20 PM
Quote from: mattc on January 06, 2015, 06:15:52 PM
I only hire people with degrees in Math or Computer Science

Really? You are either located somewhere with an abundance of developers or working in a very specific industry.  We have a hard time finding developers, actually it seems to be the re-occuring theme over my career and companies.  :)

I'm just outside of D.C.  The last opening I had was 7 years ago, and we had 7-8 applicants.  Once people get into the company they don't leave.  So I don't think that we are in a very specific industry, but that we are a very desirable company.   We are also not government or contractors, so we can hire non-citizens.

midwayfair

My father in law recently got back into coding and computer work after spending 25 years as an editor and publisher. I think his situation is at least a little similar to yours. He does mostly web development. Being able to do ALL aspects of a professional website, from the coding to the copy, is actually valuable. Most people can only do one or the other. This leads me to believe that you're best off learning web languages (even the crappy ones).

thesameage

I am probably pretty close to your father in law's situation. Though I'm realizing more and more that overall editorial skills are still necessary in a lot of places. But being able to do it all is very valuable.