News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sharkfin Tonesuck in S/H Mode?

Started by njschneider2, December 15, 2016, 05:20:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njschneider2

I recently finished my Sharkfin build, and I'm loving it. I noticed a couple of things when in sample/hold mode, though, and I'm wondering if anyone has had the same results.

First, there seems to be a tone suck. Maybe putting a boost or tone shaping pedal before hand might help?

Second, there seems to be some harshness to the peaks of the wave. I'll try to post a clip to provide more context.

Not sure if these things are the nature of the Maestro FSH circuit, or if I have done something wrong with my build.

stecykmi

it's hard to describe tone so it's difficult to tell whether it's working as intended or not without hearing it but the effect is a filter so it will inherently change the sound of your tone when on. it will also create a lot of high-end harmonics, especially when the rez control is turned up high, which could account for the harshness..

madbean

Yeah I kinda need something a bit more descriptive...tone suck could mean a lot of things. It's essentially a stepped filter so there is going to be tone shaping.

This is a good example of what should be happening, although it's probably not a Sharkfin build.

njschneider2

Thanks you two.

Sorry for the lack of description. I'll try to post a vid tonight.

I meant, during certain steps of the filter the sound becomes dark/highs are being rolled off. It sounds like the equivalent of rolling the tone knob on my Tele all the way down.

I'm pretty new to this pedal, and filters in general, so it sounds like it's the nature of the circuit.

I will say, though, that I am absolutely loving the pedal. Particularly the sample/hold mode!

taxfree

I have the same problem in my construction. How did you solve it?