News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

A very personal birthday gift

Started by Hogharry, November 08, 2014, 08:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogharry

Pork Barrel with added level control. A couple of years ago I started a tradition of building pedals for my son an Christmas and birthday gifts and this was one of his requests. He is currently studying for his Master's Degree in Theoretical Physics. The abstract looking graphic is in fact the output of a programme that he wrote in a computer language called Python. He says it's "a simulation of the diffraction of light through a Gaussian aperture." Fair enough. I just thought it looked nice. :D The top is finished with Envitotex - Marauder style.

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

cooder

Very nice and I can see the Gaussian rays beaming all the way across y6to this side of the planet.... well done! 8)
BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

RobA

It looks great and it's a combination of one of my favorite pedals and programming languages.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

bcalla

I agree, it looks very nice.  I'm impressed he has time to play music while studying for his Master's Degree in Theoretical Physics.

m-Kresol

Cool stuff. I approve of the science ;)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Leevibe

Great job, and what an amazing thing to be able to share this with your son. He's going to love it.

Hogharry

Quote from: bcalla on November 09, 2014, 03:42:53 PM
I agree, it looks very nice.  I'm impressed he has time to play music while studying for his Master's Degree in Theoretical Physics.
It goes in phases: at the moment he's overloaded with study deadlines, so he just plays for short periods when he gets a chance (no time at all last week), on the other hand he gets long breaks at Christmas/Easter/Summer and plays a lot when he's home. He's lucky enough to have a big room in the house he shares - it needs to be with a rack of 5 guitars, Blackstar amp etc. etc. Oh and lots of books.

Quote from: jimilee on November 09, 2014, 02:54:32 AM
You must be too proud!

Yes indeed! In fact he was very ill and had to stay on an extra year at school, so I'm proud of him for getting to Uni at all. I don't think many people could have overcome the obstacles that he did.

Quote from: RobA on November 09, 2014, 08:23:41 AM
It looks great and it's a combination of one of my favorite pedals and programming languages.

I don't really know anything about the programming but it's impressive the way Python can be used to set up a "virtual experiment" that allows them to alter parameters as if they were in the lab. When I read the reports he writes I can follow the science but I gave up trying to follow the maths a long time ago...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...