News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosures in Europe

Started by Adam_DIY, November 05, 2017, 10:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam_DIY

Up until now I've been ordering powder coated 1590BB talls from Banzai with no problems but my last order they sent me boxes which were 1590bb length and width but 45mm tall.  Stuff fits but god they're a lot taller than any other pedals on my board.  I also can't find any boxes on their site with the correct dimensions now.

Anyone else know where I can find a 1590bb tall powder coated enclosure in europe now?  Ordering from the states gets really expensive due to shipping and import taxes.

WormBoy

Banzai does give the dimensions of their boxes, and for the BB tall that's 119x94x45mm. Was that different in the past, and is that different from other BB talls? They also have BBMs at 116,8x91,3x39,3mm. The other suppliers that I know of in Europe only have the standard sizes in powdercoated form. So I'm afraid that you would have to finish your boxes another way, or find a local powder-coating shop that's willing to coat a few boxes for you.

NFX

i know they're not in the United States of Europe but  tayda do some good enclosures
Newbury Effects

Adam_DIY

I just went back through my old orders from Banzai to make sure it was definitely from them and I wasn't going nuts and I did get some black sparkle and plain aluminium 1590bb talls which were the same size as the 125bs I ordered.  This new batch are definitely taller.  It doesn't look like a lot but it's enough that by the time you put knobs on the top they'll be much taller than anything else on my board. 

I really wish I'd bought a bunch of the original ones but I didn't know they were going to change

Adam_DIY

Quote from: NFX on November 05, 2017, 10:46:14 AM
i know they're not in the United States of Europe but  tayda do some good enclosures

I had a look on tayda earlier this morning but they don't appear to have 125bb/1590bb talls just regular 1590bb.  I need it for a madbean total recall which according to the build doc wont fit in a 1590bb.

WormBoy

Quote from: Adam_MD on November 05, 2017, 10:50:02 AM
... This new batch are definitely taller.  ....
Ai, you're right. That's weird ... Well I don't think the BB tall is an 'official' size anyway, so they can sell whatever they like under that name (as long as the size they mention on their site for their enclosures is correct).

Yeah, but shipping and import taxes will make them pretty expensive.

Adam_DIY

Quote from: WormBoy on November 05, 2017, 10:35:19 AM
Banzai does give the dimensions of their boxes, and for the BB tall that's 119x94x45mm. Was that different in the past, and is that different from other BB talls? They also have BBMs at 116,8x91,3x39,3mm. The other suppliers that I know of in Europe only have the standard sizes in powdercoated form. So I'm afraid that you would have to finish your boxes another way, or find a local powder-coating shop that's willing to coat a few boxes for you.

I've just measured all of the different sizes I've had from Banzai including the original BB Talls they sent me and they seem to match the BBM you listed above so either BBM used to sold by them as BB Tall or they mistakenly sent me BBMs for my first few orders! I also realised that some of their measurements include the bottoms and some don't e.g. their size for 125B is only 1mm taller than a 1590bb.

Frustrating but at least I know what the hell is going on now.

Muadzin

Quote from: WormBoy on November 05, 2017, 10:56:40 AM
Yeah, but shipping and import taxes will make them pretty expensive.

Actually I found them to be a lot cheaper even with shipping then Musikding and Banzai. And out of the dozens of times I ordered from Tayda I only got hit with import charges twice. The trick is to keep your order small enough. If you order 10 enclosures, the box will be big enough for customs to have a look, as happened to me the first time. A small bag with 4 enclosures will have a very high chance of sneaking by. My orders usually consisted of everything I needed to build two effects, with 2 enclosures. Which was around $40ish, but Tayda always lists the total worth as $25 on the envelope. They know that their customers get hit for anything over that amount. *soapbox* Which is ridiculous because they let multinationals slosh away billions to tax havens so they don't have to pay any taxes, but we get hit for a small package worth a little over $25? */soapbox*

WormBoy

Thanks for tip, I will have to try them out one of these days ... If there's (generally) no import charges it's indeed pretty good price wise.

Adam_DIY

They list packages to the UK at £15 so it slips under our radar as well.  I haven't paid any import taxes with tayda yet either... yet.  I only order pots and leds these days from tayda so my packages have been pretty small.

raulduke

I've always liked GapCo's enclosures (UK based):

https://www.gapco.co.uk/Guitar-Pedal-Enclosures/

Their 125B style enclosure is what I use for 95% of the builds I do.

kaeisy

Quote from: Adam_MD on November 05, 2017, 10:52:26 AM

I had a look on tayda earlier this morning but they don't appear to have 125bb/1590bb talls just regular 1590bb.  I need it for a madbean total recall which according to the build doc wont fit in a 1590bb.

The Total Recall fits in a regular 1590bb if you build it with two MN3005. The extra height of the tall enclosure only is needed for the expansion board when using four MN3008 chips.