News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ABDX - no delay

Started by muehring, May 29, 2013, 01:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muehring

Quote from: Scruffie on July 13, 2013, 09:05:21 PM

This is odd, your voltages all look within limits, you have dry signal yet have 2 separate builds not firing up...

I'll have a think what to do next when my heads working.

Thanks!  Let me know if you have any ideas.  Good to know my voltage readings are OK.  I'll keep checking components and continuity with the schmatic and see if I can figure it out.  I don't think it's the BBDs or compander because there is no signal going into either.

twin1965

Did you manage to fix the problem?

I would be interested to know what the outcome of your troubleshooting was.

muehring

I haven't had much free time to work on it, but plan to get back to it this week.  I'll post any updates here.

muehring

I made a little bit of progress today I guess.  I'm getting one repeat now.  It's pretty gritty sounding and I have to strum hard to get it to repeat.  I tried to calibrate according to the instructions, but I don't have a signal at any pin of the BBDs still nor at pin 6 of the compander or pin 1 of LF353.  I did notice that when probing the input I still get the repeat.  I feel like the input should be clean.  Any thoughts?

jimilee

Wait, so your signal is not clean on input? Something isnt right for sure.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muehring

Yeah, I'm getting the delay at the input.

muehring

Now that these aquaboys have been sitting on my desk idle for about six months I think I'm going to start digging in again.  Anyone have any fresh ideas?
Also, if anyone wants to help me out and take a stab at trouble shooting one I'd be willing ship one and trade something or paypal for the help.

dondougie

how did you connect the audio probe? sounds like guitar into probe and fx out into the amp? otherwise delay at the input makes no sense.

muehring

Yeah, the way you described is how I audio probed it. 
Does it make sense to have delay at the input with that setup?

dondougie

yes, makes perfect sense! what you're doing is nothing more than sending the signal through the input, from where it passes through the whole circuit to the amp. That's why you got signal on the inputs of the opamps, too; it's supposed to be the other way around: guitar into fx input, and the audio probe connected to the amp. now you use the probe to pick up the signal at any point of the circuit you want, and it doesn't pass the rest of the circuit so you could exactly tell where the signal gets lost.

If you're already getting delay it should just be misbiased, try adjusting the trimpots with the probe hooked up to the amp  :)

muehring

Awesome, thanks for the help!  I'll try probing the other way around tonight.

muehring

You called it DonDougie!  Apparently the only thing wrong with both of these boards was my backwards audio probing.  I plugged the audio probe in the amp and got a signal at all the right spots.  Thanks so much!
I have one boxed up and it sounds amazing.  Definitely worth the wait.

dondougie

Glad you got it working! I agree, it's a really great sounding circuit.