News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus (I am failure)

Started by rmfroyd, February 22, 2016, 12:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmfroyd

I have been trying to troubleshoot a 2015 Collosalus board that isn't working.  I am going to get in depth with the troubleshooting tonight, but I had a quick question for you people.

Has anyone run into a 1N5817 that is literally burning hot to the touch?  I was going through the build and actually touched it this morning, and about burned my dang finger.

It is D3, on the build document.  I am doing the 18volt mod.  Could it be a bad Diode, or something before, and or after that Diode in the circuit?

Thanks for all your help in advance.

Govmnt_Lacky

rmfroyd

No, I didn't!  Well, that will probably make things much easier. 

I have been searching Google for the last three days, and this never came up.

Should have searched the forum, that was dumb on my part.

Thanks a ton!

rmfroyd

Hopefully the build document can be updated.  That would have saved me a ton of frustration this weekend.

Govmnt_Lacky

Also, there is still an error in the voltages. IC6 Pin 5 should be the same as Pin 2. On the document... Pin 5 is listed as 0 but it should be around 7.5V just like Pin 2.

Good luck  ;D

rmfroyd

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 22, 2016, 05:43:27 PM
Also, there is still an error in the voltages. IC6 Pin 5 should be the same as Pin 2. On the document... Pin 5 is listed as 0 but it should be around 7.5V just like Pin 2.

Good luck  ;D

The google machine actually found that post for me that you had made previously, but thanks again.  I was reading the schematic(as best as my abilities allow) and I thought that the 0v was a little curious.

Also, on the drilling template, the holes for the pots could be moved south.  As it is the out-jack hits the feedback trimmer and the plug can't latch.  I can measure when I get home, but I wanna say it was right around .200 south, or so that the board is ALMOST hitting the 3pdt.

Thanks again for the info, I almost went home on my lunch break to try it out.

rmfroyd

No Luck tonight. 

I have some messed up voltages on IC4.1-3

It's supposed to be
1-7.06
2-7.06
3-6.99

I am getting:
1-2.195
2-2.195
3-2.179

Checked my values and me soldering and everything checks out.  There must be something I am missing but I can't figure out what it is.

Govmnt_Lacky

Check your R26, R27, and R47 values again.

Pictures of the PCB... detailed as possible would help as well.

rmfroyd

R26, R27, and R47 checked out last night.  I am wondering if I have a bad 4558?

I will try pop a new one in there tonight and see.  If not, I will take pics and post them.

Thanks for your help.

rmfroyd

Replaced the 4558.  Here are some pics as promised:

Thanks for your help.  Gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rmfroyd

After doing some searching, has anyone actually verified that the 18v mod actually works?

Orbis_Ignis

Mine works great at 18 volts once I got rid of the zenner diode. Oh, and a bad mn3007 (not sure if it was already bad or the result of something in did).

It's a great sounding flanger

rmfroyd

Quote from: Orbis_Ignis on February 25, 2016, 05:07:17 AM
Mine works great at 18 volts once I got rid of the zenner diode. Oh, and a bad mn3007 (not sure if it was already bad or the result of something in did).

It's a great sounding flanger
Excellent, thanks! Do you have any pics of your board? 

I didn't get a chance to do much troubleshooting on this one last night, I was too busy having my mind blown by a just completed Moodring build.  What a great pedal.  If I can get this one to sound half as good as that one...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Govmnt_Lacky

Are all of your other voltages on par with the build document? Other than U4.... Pins 1, 2, and 3?

rmfroyd

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 25, 2016, 01:45:10 PM
Are all of your other voltages on par with the build document? Other than U4.... Pins 1, 2, and 3?

I need to remeasure.   Yesterday I popped off all of the IC's and blasted the PCB with a high pressure air-hose.  After re-assembly my voltages on IC4 went from the 2.1s up to where they were supposed to be per the build document.  I didn't measure everything else after that.  Hopefully tonight.

The only other wonky voltages from the other night were:

IC9
pin 3 measured at 12.48 which is double what it should be.
Pin 7 and 8 measuered at 9.2, which is also double what it should be.