Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Collosalus (I am failure)

Started by rmfroyd, February 22, 2016, 12:53:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: rmfroyd on February 25, 2016, 02:10:25 PM
IC9
pin 3 measured at 12.48 which is double what it should be.
Pin 7 and 8 measuered at 9.2, which is also double what it should be.

This is most likely because the BIAS is not properly adjusted. Make sure R32 and R35 are correct values and that you used a 20K trimmer for the BIAS. If you get the value on Pin 3 close to the build doc value then Pins 7&8 "should" fall into line.

Also, since you are seeing better voltages on your IC4 then you "should" be getting a good LFO.

rmfroyd

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on February 25, 2016, 03:46:40 PM
This is most likely because the BIAS is not properly adjusted. Make sure R32 and R35 are correct values and that you used a 20K trimmer for the BIAS. If you get the value on Pin 3 close to the build doc value then Pins 7&8 "should" fall into line.

Also, since you are seeing better voltages on your IC4 then you "should" be getting a good LFO.

Excellent info.  I will look into this tonight.  Thanks

rmfroyd

Adjusted Bias tonight.  ALL voltages check out, almost the exact same as build document.  So obviously there was a bit of solder/wire clipping causing my wacky voltages in IC4.  So that is fixed.

BUTTTT.....

Still no sound.  Works fine in bypass.  Led lights as it should.  Just. No. Sound.  I have built probably 25 pedals, and this one is completely dumbfounding me.  I was pretty proud of the fact that I have never started a box a of shame....but it might be time.  So sad.

If any of you have a 2 outs, 2 strikes, tie-game in the bottom of the ninth, Home-Run in you, I would sure like to hear it.

lincolnic

Quote from: rmfroyd on February 26, 2016, 01:43:37 AM
Adjusted Bias tonight.  ALL voltages check out, almost the exact same as build document.  So obviously there was a bit of solder/wire clipping causing my wacky voltages in IC4.  So that is fixed.

BUTTTT.....

Still no sound.  Works fine in bypass.  Led lights as it should.  Just. No. Sound.  I have built probably 25 pedals, and this one is completely dumbfounding me.  I was pretty proud of the fact that I have never started a box a of shame....but it might be time.  So sad.

If any of you have a 2 outs, 2 strikes, tie-game in the bottom of the ninth, Home-Run in you, I would sure like to hear it.

Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet. Does it work on your test rig? All of your posts so far make it seem like you've boxed it up already. Maybe there's a wiring problem.

Jebus

Sounds to me that this would be a good time to get your audio probe out and see where the signal gets cut off. :)

rmfroyd

Quote from: lincolnic on February 26, 2016, 05:09:55 AM

Here's a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet. Does it work on your test rig? All of your posts so far make it seem like you've boxed it up already. Maybe there's a wiring problem.

No, unfortunately it doesn't.  They only time I boxed it was to check that everything would fit per drilling template.

rmfroyd

Quote from: Jebus on February 26, 2016, 09:07:30 AM
Sounds to me that this would be a good time to get your audio probe out and see where the signal gets cut off. :)

Sounds to me like I better get off my butt and build an audio probe!

It feels like I have learned more by doing this one pedal than I did with the previous 25 combined.....

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: rmfroyd on February 25, 2016, 11:36:29 AM
Quote from: Orbis_Ignis on February 25, 2016, 05:07:17 AM
Mine works great at 18 volts once I got rid of the zenner diode. Oh, and a bad mn3007 (not sure if it was already bad or the result of something in did).

It's a great sounding flanger
Excellent, thanks! Do you have any pics of your board? 

I didn't get a chance to do much troubleshooting on this one last night, I was too busy having my mind blown by a just completed Moodring build.  What a great pedal.  If I can get this one to sound half as good as that one...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Here it is before I clipped the diode and shortened the legs of c22.

rmfroyd

Gave up and ordered another board. 

Made the audio probe, and traced the circuit,  thought I pinpointed the problem, then everything was fine, then it wasn't, blah, blah.

I think I have a short somewhere, possibly a chip under the sockets for the IC's.  I had to do a lot of grinding to try and get it to fit right in the enclosure, and I bet some chips worked their way where they shouldn't have.

Either way, I admit defeat.  My first failed pedal, I feel bad about myself.

The moodring turned out good though!!

dewees

in your latest picture, it doesn't look like you omitted D4, D6, C20 and C21. I left these things off and can confirm my 18V version is working.

Orbis_Ignis

Quote from: dewees on February 29, 2016, 10:41:16 PM
in your latest picture, it doesn't look like you omitted D4, D6, C20 and C21. I left these things off and can confirm my 18V version is working.

You're talking about my pic not his. I'm the one that made Madbean realize the build doc didn't contain that bit of info. I did clip the zener diode and mine works great. That pic was before I clipped the diodes and shortened the legs on c22. Other than that everything else is the same. Well, except for the bad mn3007 that had to be changed (which was supposedly hand tested, lol. Maybe I killed it somehow. Who knows)

rmfroyd

Alright, I am back.

Ordered a new board and populated it yesterday.  This one sound comes through at least, but no Flange.  I suspect the my IC6 (CD4013) may be bad, but I am not sure how to determine that(I have a new one on order).  So, how does one determine if it is bad?

The reason I 'think' it is bad is that there is no voltage measure at Pin one, which according to the Build Doc should measure 7.38 volts coming out of it. 

Thanks for your help again.

Orbis_Ignis

When mine passed signal but with no flange effect, it ended up being a bad mn3007(which was supposedly hand tested, lol)

rmfroyd

That may be what it is.  I hate waiting for parts....

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rmfroyd

I am about ready to quit.  New board works, but no flange.  I have gone through 4 each of the MN3007(2 from small bear, 2 from parts puller in Miami), tried 6 cd4049s, 5 cd4013s.  I can't fucking win.

I mulimetered every resistor I put in, checked ever cap.

Voltages are all fucked up.

Ic1-4 are spot on, then it gets ugly.

IC5
1-14.81
2-14.77
3-0.0
4-0.0
5-14.6
6-0.0
7-13.8
8-0.0
9-0.0
10-14.7
11-0.0
12-14.8
13-mv
14-0.0
15-14.7
16-mv

ic6
1-14.6
2-13.8
3-14.6
10-14.2
12-14.7

ic9
2-14.8
6-14.8
7-14.12
8-14.12

Please for the love of Cindy Crawford tell me how to fix this.