News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

cupcake problem

Started by TreeSlayer, December 18, 2012, 11:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreeSlayer

well, it seems i built a great gospel station reciever. when i plug everything up and touch the #3 post on the level pot, i get gospel music. nothing else works. any thoughts?
"At the line it's just you, me and the tree." the TreeSlayer

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

midwayfair

TreeSlayer

gotcha! i'm testing some things now. i discovered that R6, 470k, is reading 211.9k. it's marked the same as R3 and R4, that are reading 461k and 459k. CHECK THEM BEFORE YOU INSTALL THEM!!!! very valuable lesson here! still checking others. thanks for the link, midwayfair!

"You have the rest of your life to make excuses and be a fuckin' pussy. Today is your day OFF!"  Amiri King

midwayfair

Quote from: TreeSlayer on December 19, 2012, 01:40:19 AM
gotcha! i'm testing some things now. i discovered that R6, 470k, is reading 211.9k. it's marked the same as R3 and R4, that are reading 461k and 459k. CHECK THEM BEFORE YOU INSTALL THEM!!!! very valuable lesson here! still checking others. thanks for the link, midwayfair!

Resistors can read differently when in-circuit.

That will not be causing your entire circuit to fail. Keep searching. Take voltages before desoldering. That will narrow down the problem.

PimpMyTone

Like Jon said , resistance will read differently when in circuit if there are other resistances in the same circuit .
In that case 211.9 k looks normal .

Start by taking voltages of each pins of the ic and the transistors .
Simon

madbean

Can we have a pic of your build? Have you loaded it into an enclosure or are you testing it on a breadboard, etc? Reason I ask is are you sure you have grounded everything properly.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: madbean on December 19, 2012, 03:53:59 PM
Can we have a pic of your build? Have you loaded it into an enclosure or are you testing it on a breadboard, etc? Reason I ask is are you sure you have grounded everything properly.

here ya go! i think everything is grounded proper...

TreeSlayer

here's another, just in case....

TreeSlayer

Quote from: simonsix on December 19, 2012, 07:04:54 AM
Like Jon said , resistance will read differently when in circuit if there are other resistances in the same circuit .

i've checked every pin on the bottom if pcb and i have voltage of some degree at all of them.

TreeSlayer

back side of pcb... i've checked this under a 10x mag glass and there are no short circuits.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: TreeSlayer on December 19, 2012, 06:43:06 PM
Quote from: simonsix on December 19, 2012, 07:04:54 AM

i've checked every pin on the bottom if pcb and i have voltage of some degree at all of them.

sorry... i was gettin a little antsy there... here's the readings i got...

midwayfair

Something's very wrong in the biasing, power, or ground of your circuit. You should have 9v on pin 8, and about 4.5v on pins 1, 2, and 3. Pins 4 and 5 should be ground -- you seem to have some voltage leaking into your ground.

TreeSlayer

Quote from: midwayfair on December 19, 2012, 08:33:06 PM
Something's very wrong in the biasing, power, or ground of your circuit. You should have 9v on pin 8, and about 4.5v on pins 1, 2, and 3. Pins 4 and 5 should be ground -- you seem to have some voltage leaking into your ground.

that sounds serious. i guess the only thing i can do is start over...

jkokura

It is serious, but starting over is not the next step. Analyzing the data just tells us what's wrong, not the next step.

You have power leaking to ground? You should stop the power from leaking to ground. The first step to do that is to find out where power is going to ground.

The usual guess here is that you have a solder bridge between any of your 9V connection points and and of your GND connection points. Luckily, this is a small circuit, so there aren't many of either. Start to examine all of them closely, and even reheat those pads carefully with your iron. Once those pads have been isolated from each other, you may have a working circuit.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TreeSlayer

Quote from: jkokura on December 19, 2012, 08:52:14 PM
It is serious, but starting over is not the next step. Analyzing the data just tells us what's wrong, not the next step.

You have power leaking to ground? You should stop the power from leaking to ground. The first step to do that is to find out where power is going to ground.

The usual guess here is that you have a solder bridge between any of your 9V connection points and and of your GND connection points. Luckily, this is a small circuit, so there aren't many of either. Start to examine all of them closely, and even reheat those pads carefully with your iron. Once those pads have been isolated from each other, you may have a working circuit.

Jacob
thanks, Jacob! just starting to get a tad frustrated. i've looked this over several times and can't see anything shorting out. i'm going to try reheating the pads.