News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mudbunny Clone!!!

Started by Lubdar, April 18, 2017, 02:58:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Good eye! That's definitely a rip off.  What a hack.

alanp

What a tosser.

I was tipped off to someone else (think it was a different guy, not this one) flogging copies of some of my boards I uploaded to OSH (cheap Chinese fabbed ones.) I don't upload complex stuff to OSH anymore.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

mjg

The guy is probably now wondering why so many people are viewing his eBay item today... but not buying it.  :D

darrenw6000

People may be hacked off but the way I see it is that if the circuits are out there in the public domain then they are anyone's for the taking.

somnif

Quote from: darrenw6000 on April 18, 2017, 11:02:40 AM
People may be hacked off but the way I see it is that if the circuits are out there in the public domain then they are anyone's for the taking.

The circuits sure, but its the board layouts themselves that are a thing here. Dozens of BMPs floating about, but just transposing the Mudbunny layout into Eagle and getting a few dozen boards printed on the cheap is a bit shady (especially since hes charging 3$ more a board than our leguminous overlord does for the real deal).

madbean

Thanks, I sent a message to the seller.

culturejam

Quote from: somnif on April 18, 2017, 11:05:55 AM
Quote from: darrenw6000 on April 18, 2017, 11:02:40 AM

The circuits sure, but its the board layouts themselves that are a thing here. Dozens of BMPs floating about, but just transposing the Mudbunny layout into Eagle and getting a few dozen boards printed on the cheap is a bit shady (especially since hes charging 3$ more a board than our leguminous overlord does for the real deal).

Yep. The circuit is fair game, but the layout is original artwork protected by copyright at the time of creation (at least in the US). So that seller is actually violating copyright law, but it has nothing to do with the circuit itself.

Also, bonus points for using "leguminous".  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Lubdar

Quote from: culturejam on April 18, 2017, 12:52:59 PM

Yep. The circuit is fair game, but the layout is original artwork protected by copyright at the time of creation (at least in the US). So that seller is actually violating copyright law, but it has nothing to do with the circuit itself.

Also, bonus points for using "leguminous".  ;D

That was my understanding as well
(--c^.^)--c

madbean

Which is exactly what I said in my message. But, I also offered to help him in working on his own original layouts so hopefully that will be enough to persuade him rather than having to get eBay involved. We'll see.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on April 18, 2017, 12:59:40 PM
Which is exactly what I said in my message. But, I also offered to help him in working on his own original layouts so hopefully that will be enough to persuade him rather than having to get eBay involved. We'll see.

You're too damn nice, Brian.

madbean

Quote from: culturejam on April 18, 2017, 01:05:30 PM
You're too damn nice, Brian.

Nah, it's always better to give the benefit of the doubt. I've already heard back from the seller and it looks like it will be resolved without issue.

Reminds me of the time way back when a very well known pedal maker threatened to "destroy" MBP over some of my (original) layouts. Not really a professional way to handle things.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on April 18, 2017, 01:40:40 PM
Reminds me of the time way back when a very well known pedal maker threatened to "destroy" MBP over some of my (original) layouts. Not really a professional way to handle things.

I didn't mean you should throat-punch the guy.  ;D

Willybomb

Dude has ended the auction because the item is no longer available....