News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OC75 MKI/Zonk Machine Mojo-Fuzz

Started by dondougie, May 27, 2013, 06:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dondougie

First off I have to say that I've been trying to build a MKI for well over a year, and I finally came across the right transistors! This one is my third build in this style, and finally one worth presenting :)

As you can see, I tried to pack as much mojo into it as I could :D: large pitch stripboard, carbon comps, axial caps, shielded wire and OC75's. Of course it took forever till I found a set that biased up fine in this circuit, but it sure was worth the time and effort! Oh, and I love these large enclosures! Working with shielded wire and top mounted jacks is a breeze, lots of room and much easier to lay out compared to smaller boxes.

This was my first try at using spray paints, and I think it came out pretty well; the metal flake effect is really vibrant.

By far my favorite fuzz, sounds great with single coils and humbuckers alike (too mushy with high output humbuckers with the volume pot full up though, but behaves nicely when turned down a notch) and lots of output. It has that aggressive, in your face MKI base-tone, but even meaner and grittier with a little less saturation.

Edit: I hate photobucket, nothing shows up like I edited it, sorry for the size and the color

GrindCustoms

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

ch1naski

Beautiful job with the spray can. Looks as good as a pre-painted enclosure.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
one louder.

nzCdog

That spraycan finish is dreamy.  Very very tidy... props to you sir. 8)

lincolnic

Jurassic

Quote from: lincolnic on May 28, 2013, 02:35:55 AM
Great build. How about a demo?
+1 Yeah, I would love to hear how it sounds! Anyway, super nice looking build! Great work!

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

raulduke

Lovely bender build dude.

Clean as a whistle!

jalmonsalmon

Very clean build!
How is the pcb stuck to the metal thing iniside? And also how is the metal thing mounted in the enclosure?
I was thinking the metal thing was a battery box or something but the battery is sitting near the stomp switch... Nice how the board is screwed in for ground too!  Bravo ;D  Looks very similar to pics I have seen of some of the David Main pedals

excuse me for all the questions  LOL
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

dondougie

Thanks for the compliments you guys, I really appreciate it :) Especially since this thing was a lot of work and I had some difficulties to overcome.

I can't do a demo right now, but might in the future when I buy a decent recorder.

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on May 28, 2013, 09:49:58 PM
Very clean build!
How is the pcb stuck to the metal thing iniside? And also how is the metal thing mounted in the enclosure?
I was thinking the metal thing was a battery box or something but the battery is sitting near the stomp switch... Nice how the board is screwed in for ground too!  Bravo ;D  Looks very similar to pics I have seen of some of the David Main pedals

excuse me for all the questions  LOL

The board is screwed to the mounting bracket, the folded top part under the board is about as long as one row of stripboard. The other end reaches up to the pots which are screwed through it - that's how it is mounted and grounded to the enclosure. Old Tone Benders used this method, for example, and I greatly prefer it to plastic standoffs in this build-style. If only these things weren't so damn hard for me to make, with only a worn-down handsaw and no real vise at my disposal  ;D

jalmonsalmon

Ah ok! I need to find out where I can get or how to make these mounting brackets LOL
folded aluminium I take it?

cheers
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

dondougie

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on May 29, 2013, 12:24:47 PM
Ah ok! I need to find out where I can get or how to make these mounting brackets LOL
folded aluminium I take it?

cheers

Yeah, I found 0,6mm thick aluminum to be best for this, got some plates at an architecture shop. Just saw it to size, drill the holes and then bend it with a vise.

idgit

very nice, I'm sure it sounds great

May i ask how you came to find the transistors that suited you?  i have heard that the way to go is smallbear and ask for a set with certain characteristics, which is what I will probably do.

what did you do?  I have a problematic MKII

Thx

dondougie

Quote from: idgit on May 30, 2013, 10:26:14 PM
very nice, I'm sure it sounds great

May i ask how you came to find the transistors that suited you?  i have heard that the way to go is smallbear and ask for a set with certain characteristics, which is what I will probably do.

what did you do?  I have a problematic MKII

Thx

For this one I chose from about 30 transistors I got from ebay over the last few weeks, but for a MKII smallbear is the right adress if you want a set that is guaranteed to sound good without the hassle of selecting transistors by yourself. Either MKII set they have is fine and will work in the circuit with the provided bias resistors.