News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Job search tips?

Started by jubal81, April 16, 2013, 08:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r4ndy

I too am looking for the first time in a decade. A friend turned me on to indeed.com which is a search engine for jobs.

Also, I am a big fan of lifehacker.com - search their site for lots of interview and resume tips.

Good luck!

electricstorm

I too am looking for a job. Been without one for almost four years now. I have two things against me (so says the Employment Security Commission), I'm over fifty and the place I worked for twelve and a half years (was Cabarrus county's largest employer at the time). I was told that, in their mind, the potential employers can't pay what I made at that job. Would very much like to overcome those two items!

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in your search. I hear Raleigh is a great place! Too far for me to drive and I can't relocate at the moment.

Jim

ElectricStorm

No current affiliations

Lovetone Flanger  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v4twi2sbs0l5p7/1Ep9NbRE2T

jubal81

Thought I'd give a bit of an update.
After a lot of thought, I decided it made more sense to stick around here a bit longer and get the three prereq classes I need to transfer to N.C. State. I've become fascinated with circuitry the past three years and I really want to go into electrical engineering. Even though I have a BA, it's still probably going to take me four years starting now. Thought I'd dread it, but I'm really excited.

So calculus class started two weeks ago. I took it in high school, but that was way back in '95. Took my first math test in 17 years. OUCH. Haven't had time to work on any pedals - even to finish the Bubba Fet - because I'm watching math lectures nonstop trying to relearn all of high school math.

As far as the job goes, I'm looking into freelancing editing jobs. For going back to school, a gig where you work your own hours from home sounds pretty perfect.

Wow, this post got a lot longer than I planned. Time to go back to finding derivatives ....
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

atreidesheir

Khan academy is a great source online to brush up on algebra and calculus.

The great advice has been given.
Just stay positive.  It seems obvious but is not natural when faced with rejection and 99% nonreplies.  My wife has been looking for a job for 3 years.  She is incredibly overqualified for RN work and no will even bother to call her references.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

jubal81

Quote from: atreidesheir on June 09, 2013, 05:17:34 PM
Khan academy is a great source online to brush up on algebra and calculus.

The great advice has been given.
Just stay positive.  It seems obvious but is not natural when faced with rejection and 99% nonreplies.  My wife has been looking for a job for 3 years.  She is incredibly overqualified for RN work and no will even bother to call her references.

That's pretty surprising. My three sisters are all nurses and it takes them no time to find a job.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

juansolo

Hmmm, maybe I should have treated this LinkedIn thing a little more seriously...

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=175036371
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

DutchMF

Depends on what you do for a living, and what your goals are. For instance, if you're really good at what you do, but might want to work abroad for an international company, LinkedIn is the way to go.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

juansolo

Ah getting there with my goals. There's just the hat thing that I can't pull off...

RobA

Quote from: juansolo on June 09, 2013, 05:56:40 PM
Hmmm, maybe I should have treated this LinkedIn thing a little more seriously...

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=175036371

Damn! I can't go look because I deleted my LinkedIn account.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gordo

Linked in and study everything you can in the area.  Totally blows, but job apps are a science now and I had to go looking for a job after 27 years.  I ended up getting a new gig thru some old friends and it's worked out really well but I did a 12 week program to market myself and it was a real eye opener.  It's all about self marketing now and you may as well get used to the fact that you need to be good at it.  The old days of putting on a tie and going to interviews are done.

The good news is that there's tons of resources out there and a lot of them are free or cheap.  And the job market in most sectors is picking up a bit, as more business' are spending money again.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

juansolo

A tie?!  :o

Right, that's it, I'm never working for the man again if they want me to wear a suit! Pah, PAH and thrice PAH!

jtn191

I don't really believe LinkedIn is that valuable to getting a jobs. Seems pretty spam heavy in my limited experience.

Anyways, best of luck with school & jobs, Jubal81. I've lived in NC for 13 years and am in a similar boat myself. If you're into music journalism, check out this magazine I picked up a couple days ago http://www.shufflemag.com/