News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

OP AMP MUFF (PIG BUTT) question about ICs

Started by dmitrogen47, September 26, 2018, 07:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmitrogen47

Good morning everyone,

I'm looking into building an OP AMP MUFF (PIG BUTT), and shopping for parts before I get the board.
Wouldn't want to get a board I can't assemble due to the lack of parts.

The build doc (link below) specifies 2 ICs: 4558 and LM741.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/PigButt/PigButt_2015.pdf

My access to parts is somewhat limited. All I have available are JRC4558D and LM741N respectively.
Could somebody please let me know if these versions of the ICs will work for this build?

Thanks in advance!

dmitrogen47

Thanks for the quick reply drog_trog, I'll try assembling with these!
Rock on!

stringsthings

Quote from: dmitrogen47 on September 26, 2018, 07:15:34 AM
Good morning everyone,

I'm looking into building an OP AMP MUFF (PIG BUTT), and shopping for parts before I get the board.
Wouldn't want to get a board I can't assemble due to the lack of parts.

The build doc (link below) specifies 2 ICs: 4558 and LM741.
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/PigButt/PigButt_2015.pdf

My access to parts is somewhat limited. All I have available are JRC4558D and LM741N respectively.
Could somebody please let me know if these versions of the ICs will work for this build?

Thanks in advance!

Good evening!

"All I have available are JRC4558D and LM741N respectively."

the JRC4558 is a dual op-amp.  And the LM741N is a single op-amp.
op amps are very common in fuzz and distortion pedals.   Next time you are purchasing parts/components,
stock up on op-amps.    Depending on the price, I recommend five or six.   
All You Need Is Love

alanp

JRC4558D. JRC as a prefix, means that it is a standard 4558 opamp that was made by the Japan Radio Corporation. D, as a suffix, means that it is in a DIP8 package.

LM741N means that it is a standard 741 opamp, with the suffix N meaning DIP8 package, and 0 - 70degC operating temperature range.

LM as a prefix I'm not 100% sure of by now, since it seems to be used from a few USA manufacturers, like Fair Child and NatSemi.

When in doubt, look up the datasheet!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: alanp on October 03, 2018, 01:53:23 AM

LM as a prefix I'm not 100% sure of by now, since it seems to be used from a few USA manufacturers, like Fair Child and NatSemi.

LM stands for linear monolithic. Linear is roughly analogous to "analog" in this usage, and monolithic as they use a single piece of silicon.

dmitrogen47

QuoteLM stands for linear monolithic. Linear is roughly analogous to "analog" in this usage, and monolithic as they use a single piece of silicon.

QuoteJRC4558D. JRC as a prefix, means that it is a standard 4558 opamp that was made by the Japan Radio Corporation. D, as a suffix, means that it is in a DIP8 package.
LM741N means that it is a standard 741 opamp, with the suffix N meaning DIP8 package, and 0 - 70degC operating temperature range.

Learn something new every day :)
Kinda new to the hobby, hence the newbie questions. Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

ahiddentableau

Quote from: dmitrogen47 on October 03, 2018, 07:45:04 AM
QuoteLM stands for linear monolithic. Linear is roughly analogous to "analog" in this usage, and monolithic as they use a single piece of silicon.

Learn something new every day :)
Kinda new to the hobby, hence the newbie questions. Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!

+1  I appreciate finally knowing what LM stands for.