News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

UPDATE: Providence Stampede SOV-2 Boutique Overdrive - Interest?

Started by rullywowr, November 04, 2013, 11:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rullywowr

Hello,

I have created a layout for the Stampede SOV-2 boutique overdrive and was about to pull the trigger on some boards.  I wanted to see if any of you may be interested?  I am thinking somewhere around $8 to $10.  Here is a link to a review of this pedal:
http://www.sixstringsoul.com/stampede-sov-2-review/

It is a pretty cool pedal and I got to play around with a real one that my co-worker has for a bit.  It is based around a modified Tube Screamer but the pedal (get this) uses a +9V supply stepped down to +5v then upconverted to +15v.  WTF???  Pretty wasteful, so the battery life off a +9v is about 2 hours as you can expect.  In my fabbed version, I took out all that silly conversion and just am going to use a charge pump to run it at +18v or around that.

Here are some mockups of what I have so far.  Board corners are rounded, power at top and bottom, board mounted pots (of course!)

Thanks for checking out my layout.  =)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jubal81

Never heard of it before, but that's a really spiffy layout.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Mike B.

I'd be in for a couple boards. Let us know if you need the cash up front.

hoodoo

I'd be in for one, great sounding pedal. Shipping to Oz no problem? thanks, Matt.

rullywowr

Thanks guys, I will ship worldwide - no problem may be an extra buck or two.  Just trying to see how much interest there might be for a trial run.  Polishing up some of the loose ends in Diptrace, going to check fitment, and then it's off to the fab.

alanp

I'd be interested, never built a screamer.

I think I'll call mine Vash... after Vash the Stampede, the 60 billion double dollar man :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

murdog47

selfdestroyer

rullywowr, I know there was some interest at FSB also and you might be able to get some more on board. I thing there is still a "Request" thread for it there. I am so backlogged right now but I may be interested in one in a few months.

GermanCdn

The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

rullywowr

Thanks again guys.  I renamed it "Avalanche" as it's bad ju ju to name the clone the same as the original...plus it IS different. 

I will have a BOM for you soon but its really mostly stock components with the exception of 2qty 2u2 tantalum, a 7660 (or 1044SCPA) charge pump.  Two 4558 compatible ICs, a bunch of 100n films and there ya go.

I will check over at FSB in case anyone may interested but I should have enough to go around.  I'm excited to compare this to the real mcCoy, especially as this one uses a different (and higher) voltage scheme (+18v/-18v).   Order is off to the fab as we speak and hopefully should be back in 20-30 days tops.

rullywowr

cooder

Sounds cool, I'm interested in one, cheers! Also wondering what progam you use to make those swish 3D animations of the boards?
BigNoise Amplification

rullywowr

Great man!  I am using DipTrace PCB layout and it has the 3D modeling built right in.  Just hit the "3D" button and you are golden (once you have your models picked for each type component).

I posted a link elsewhere on the forum for the "Happy3D" 3D parts library that I use for Diptrace but in case you want to grab it you can grab it here off my Dropbox:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/73135424/3D%20models%20Diptrace/3D%20PART.rar

I plan on doing a tutorial for those interested in using DipTrace and/or migrating from Eagle.  It has some quirks but nowhere near the amount that Eagle has.  Libraries can be imported over as well as Eagle schematics and boards.  I have found DT just lets me get what I need to get done faster and with a much better GUI.  Migrating over is pretty easy.  I still have Eagle for working with existing Eagle schematics and boards, however if I am going to whip something up new...it's Diptrace all the way!

jubal81

You've just about talked me into trying out Diptrace. Gonna go download it now.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

rullywowr

Quote from: jubal81 on November 05, 2013, 06:40:58 PM
You've just about talked me into trying out Diptrace. Gonna go download it now.

Another convert....to the dark side :)

Seriously, if you have any questions let me know.  There is a small learning curve but it's so worth it.

PS.  There is no board size limit (unlike Eagle where it yells at you for placing something outside the board outline), and if you email DipTrace and tell them you are using it for personal/hobby use they will upgrade you for FREE to the Lite version which has 500 pins max.