News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Catalinbread formula No 5 JFETs?

Started by shawnee, August 24, 2011, 03:17:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnee

Does anyone happen to know what 4 JFET's are used in the Catalinbread Formula No 5 pedal?

irmcdermott

shawnee

Wow that was fast. Thank you very much.

JakeFuzz

Haha, damn I forgot about those layouts. Since FSB isn't up here it is out of my library.

aziltz

that looks like my schematic.  should've put my name on that!

JakeFuzz

Quote from: aziltz on August 26, 2011, 02:33:33 PM
that looks like my schematic.  should've put my name on that!

Oh yeah. Sorry 'bout that. It probably is. I just pulled it off of FSB a while ago.

aziltz

no its no problem.  I was just kicking myself a bit.

mitchelr

raulduke

mitchelr: I had a read through the FSB thread on the No.5 and it was agreed that C3 (the tonestack cap) should be 470p.

I have done a board design for this so I am looking forward to building the circuit.

chip46

I built it with 47pf, doh  :P

It's still not boxed yet so I'll have to swap it for a 470pf and see how it sounds.

shawnee

I noticed that the original Formula No 5 has no toggle switch but a lot of guys on FSB are building it with the "11" switch.  It looks like it just puts the 2.2M resistor in or out of the circuit. The schematic listed here has it already in all of the time. I am assuming that the resistor gives more gain. Has anyone tried pulling it out or switching it?

dwstanford

I socketed it at first, but i eventually put it on a switch.  I thought i would leave it in most of the time, but found i was wanting to take it out once i played with it.

shawnee

I just tried it both ways and much prefered it in the circuit. I think it's just too hot without the resistor there. That being said, I think I like the LaVache better for the cranked tweed sound. 

I said it backwards in the earlier post. The resistor doesn't add gain, it tames it down.

chip46

I posted a picture of my FN5 board on Facebook and C'bread commented on it saying that if I had any questions about the circuit to just shoot them a message. I asked a few questions about the circuit, one being the 2.2M resistor, as well as the 470pF cap. We'll see what they say.