News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Damien (Test Tube Baby!)

Started by juansolo, June 02, 2012, 06:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Well it's together and as far as kicking ass goes, it's mighty. This is the baby boobtube with Renegadrian's 6.66x supply and Klon buffer on a single piece of vero with a submini tube. Logic dictates that this little creation be named Damien. Sonically it's nigh on identical to it's bigger brother. Just in a wee box.

For those that want a crack at it:

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

stecykmi

juansolo

As it's a tube OD, so it's got a bit of smoothness about it. It adds quite a bit of thickness to the sound, but still stays balanced no matter how much gain you pile on (and it has a lot!). We built one for a friend and he described it as a warmer SHO. Which I'd go along with.

GrindCustoms

I commented on BYOC....but.....i'm always amazed by your builts...

The last part i am missing to try out one of these......well the Mini Boobtube..are on their way! Can't wait! :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

sgmezei

Holy Crap! This just made it to the top of my build list. Awesome build dude.

For those of us unfamiliar with sub-mini's, any required reading, places to get them, things to look out for that you can recommend?

juansolo

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 02, 2012, 08:42:28 PM
I commented on BYOC....but.....i'm always amazed by your builts...

The last part i am missing to try out one of these......well the Mini Boobtube..are on their way! Can't wait! :)

They're nigh on identical sounding, which I'll admit came as quite a nice surprise!

We're also going to miniturise the original BBT when we manage to snag some submini triodes.

timbo_93631

The U bolt is too cool.  Love your builds dude, just consistently innovative, impressive, GAS-worthy.  Keep up the good work.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

juansolo

Quote from: sgmezei on June 02, 2012, 08:50:06 PM
Holy Crap! This just made it to the top of my build list. Awesome build dude.

For those of us unfamiliar with sub-mini's, any required reading, places to get them, things to look out for that you can recommend?

They work just the same as their bigger counterparts, just the pinouts are a bit different (snag the datasheet for them). That layout is correct for the tubes mentioned on it. We've mounted it on the back of the board as it can get quite hot so we wanted it poking through the casing. So it is a little awkward to solder in.

As for snagging them. Ebay is your friend. That one is from a lot of 10 that we bought a couple of years ago on ebay (and we're down to 2, both spoken for I'm afraid). We're currently trying to snag some triodes to do the original BBT also. They turn up pretty frequently.

There's also an LED on ours mounted underneath the tube (which is what the resistor is from the top row that's not on the vero). Mainly because we're tarts and blue lit tubes look awesome.

GrindCustoms

Juan, i have a really good deal on sub minis and other «rarities» from a supplier in Ukraine, i ordered a party mix of sub minis couple weeks ago...should be here soon...

I'll let you know if they are good to go or not :)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

night-B

Nice compact layout! I will give it a try for sure  ;)

gtr2

This is sweet.  Love your tube's!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

guycapuano

28 cuts  :o

Oh man.........   

Well done

njkke

How does it works? I've listened to the file you've upload of the BT80, it's a nice crunch/overdrive, but I'm wondering if it is only a booster to overdrive the front end of the amp or it can be used as an overdrive in itself (I've a transistor amp, so...)   ???
The sound is amazing, if it works as an overdrive you surely will see a mini boob tube from my built reports soon! ;)

juansolo

Quote from: njkke on June 12, 2012, 06:03:48 PM
How does it works? I've listened to the file you've upload of the BT80, it's a nice crunch/overdrive, but I'm wondering if it is only a booster to overdrive the front end of the amp or it can be used as an overdrive in itself (I've a transistor amp, so...)   ???
The sound is amazing, if it works as an overdrive you surely will see a mini boob tube from my built reports soon! ;)

Oh it's definitely an overdrive rather than a clean boost.

njkke